Monday, September 21, 2015

Dining Room - 2 Years Later

I thought it might be fun to show you guys what we've been doing on our house in the past two years. The blog has sort of taken a hit in this area, as I've just simply lacked energy and time to document everything. But I'm hoping now that I'm back on the blog bandwagon I can slowly roll out these house update posts. I love documenting our house projects because it's a great way for me to look back and see just how far we've come (esp on days like today when the house looks like a bomb went off...and the insides of that bomb just so happened to be toys...grin). 

As I was preparing to do this post, and scanning through old photos, I realized: we have done significantly less updates in two years here in TN than we did in NY. I'm thinking that's probably because our family grew by two little people who take up most of our day. :) 

At any rate, here's the progress we've made in one of the most used rooms in our home - the Dining Room. 

This is what the space looked like before we moved in:



This was one month in...don't judge


I don't have many photos after that period, but here's what the space looks like today:
 

We still haven't painted the room or removed the carpet, but Nathan did build me a gigantic farmhouse table (plans via Ana White), and we purchased a hutch as well as added a few pieces on the wall. We also changed out the light fixture, and hung some new curtains. 


I love my table!! It seats 8 very comfortably, and I love all of the knots and details that make it unique. Nathan put a lot of work into it, and it's the first thing people see and compliment when they come in. We have a mix of chairs around the table, but I wanted something a bit more formal for the head chairs. 


We bought these on sale at World Market, and I couldn't be happier. They are super comfortable, and whenever we have a big crowd over I can easily pull them into the living room to seat more people in there. 


The hutch was a Craigslist find, and it's very practical - I store my cookbooks, china, and extra cooking stuff (Crock Pot, Rice Cooker, Serving Bowls, table runners and napkins, etc) in there, and there's also a drawer at the bottom that's reserved for William and Lydia - it houses some coloring stuff, paper, play doh etc, that we break out in the dining room during dinner prep to keep them busy :) 


Our plans for this room have been coming along slowly, because we're thinking we may tear down 1/2 of the wall that leads into the living room to open the space up more. We're still contemplating and configuring everything, so that's why we've waiting to do flooring and painting just yet. 

We do love the way Glidden's May Tulip Yellow looks splashed on the wall. It has a nice golden undertone, which compliments our blue in the kitchen well. I'd really like to do the Yellow 1/2 way up, with a chair rail and then a nice white on the bottom 1/2. 


I'd also like to paint the hutch to help break up some of that wood in the room (esp once we get hardwoods, I think it'll just look to heavy). I've found a few ideas on Pinterest I really like the look of. I love the idea of painting it white, with the blue from our kitchen as the backsplash. Here's a photo of how that might look...

colors for banquette Young House Love | House Crashing: The Whole Show | http://www.younghouselove.com:
(pin)

And another (with the darker blue instead)
Blue Painted Inlay Within A White Hutch
(pin)

Since this is a space we spend roughly 3 hours or more in per day, we really wanted it to be cozy. I'm so thankful Nathan worked so hard to make our table - it's so wonderful to have so much seating and still plenty of room to pull the kids' booster seats up too. It is solid wood (he even had to have friends come over to help him bring it inside!), and has a lot of cool details. I love his can-do personality, and that he doesn't get tired of my crazy ideas. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel