Friday, September 26, 2014

Morning Busyness - Summer Edition

In an effort to slow down and notice more, I've been trying to be intentional and document some of the normal bits and pieces of my day as a SAHM. Taking more photos of the everyday-this-is-not-that-glamorous-but-it's-real-life moments that make up memories, laughs, cries, tantrums, play, and learning. 

These were some of those moments...


Get ready for a William overload! I realized it has been far too long since I sat down and documented some fun things me and my sweet boy have been doing lately. It's hard to believe William is almost 2.5 years old! This summer has flown by, his speech has exploded, and he surprises us more and more each day with this dynamic sense of humor (which I'm certain he gets from his dad!). 


We spent a lot of time swimming this summer! This boy is like a fish and loves being in the water. I had high hopes of taking advantage of our local wading pool this summer, but it isn't very shaded so we realized after the first visit it wasn't a realistic activity with a newborn baby. So, we invested in a plastic kiddie pool and it became the biggest outdoor hit! 



One of our friends bought us a bug catching kit, and it has also been a fun activity. Most of the time, I end up catching the bugs and putting them into the container (something I never dreamed I'd enjoy, but when you're a mom of a boy, bugs are kinda cool!). William likes to add in rocks, grass and sticks for the bugs to eat. Oh! And our favorite pal, Bear came on our bug catching adventure this day. Bear is still quite the companion and is really starting to show his age lately. ;) 


The weather cooled off for a hot minute one random day so we ran outside and started up the fire pit. William had his first taste of roasted marshmallows. He described the roasted ones as being "dirty" and the unroasted ones as being "dee-wish-us!" ;)




The county fair came to town and it's always a huge hit. We didn't go last year because everyone got sick the morning of the fair, so we were determined to take the kiddos this year. Of course we chose the hottest day to go, but we managed to keep cool and have fun anyway. 



The highlight for everyone was the train museum. So neat! 


And William also rode his very first "roller coaster" ride with Daddy! He had a blast. 



Neither Nathan or I are very big on structured preschool...how does one even get a toddler to focus more than 5 minutes on an activity anyway?!?! But we do like to incorporate learning into our every day play. We've been having fun playing "Shape Hop" and other silly games using our sidewalk chalk. 


Basically, I just draw a bunch of shapes on the carport and William "hops" on the shape I call out. It has been a fun way to learn our shapes this summer!


Notice a theme with my photos? They're ALL outdoors! This boy would stay outside all day if I let him...we spend about 75% of our days outside, and sometimes even more if he insists on having a "picnic" for lunch. His all time favorite activity is probably scooping, shoveling, or "rolling" the rocks (he uses a paint roller) and dirt and putting them in buckets, dump trucks, piles, etc. It's an endless activity that can keep him busy for a long time!



We also went back to our favorite Apple Picking spot this year and picked lots of delicious winesap apples. 


Made plenty of messes getting creative with fingerpaints. 


Trying out our new fishing rod ;)


And when we're not busy playing, there's always work to do! William loves tinkering with Daddy's tools and fixing flat tires on his Cozy Coupe, or helping out with chores (his favorites include mowing the grass with Daddy, pulling weeds with Mommy, vacuuming, and unloading the dishwasher). 


Some of our favorite words/phrases he says right now include:

"I so excited!"
"Dee-wish-us" (Delicious)
"No Frank You" (No Thank You)
"I so proud of you!"
"Wittle" (little)
"I bought it at da Goodwill" (he thinks everything comes from the Goodwill, and usually thinks everything costs "twenty dowwers")

He's also quite the conversationalists and likes to insert himself into random conversations Nathan and I might be having. 

Parenting a two-year-old boy is one of the best workouts ever...it's lots of work, tons of fun, requires massive amounts of patience and braveness, but one of the most fun jobs I've ever had. There are very difficult days sometimes where it feels like all I do is discipline, correct, redirect, distract, etc. But there are also lots of days when I look out to see him doing something in the yard and have to stop and thank God for allowing me to be this boys Mommy. I am so blessed by him and definitely get a daily dose of laughter from parenting him! 

1 comment:

  1. Love that sweet boy!!! He is all boy and full of energy and brings us so much joy!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel