Thursday, May 15, 2014

Morning Busyness

In an effort to slow down and notice more, I've been trying to be intentional and document some of the normal bits and pieces of my day as a SAHM. Taking more photos of the everyday-this-is-not-that-glamorous-but-it's-real-life moments that make up memories, laughs, cries, tantrums, play, and learning. 

These were some of those moments...


Now that William has a mouthful of teeth, he's discovered so many wonderful new food groups - corn on the cob (aka "torn" - one of his favorites), pretzel sticks, and fruit snacks (we try to only give him the "healthier" ones). I love seeing him grab a full corn cob and just go to town! It's a good thing we're planting a lot of "torn" in the garden this summer. ;)


The Nashville Zoo is a bit of a drive from our small town, but now that William's older it's a great place to spend half of the day exploring. We went a few weeks ago with our friends who have a membership and William's favorites were the flamingoes, fish, goats and kangaroos (yes! They have Kangaroos that you can pet/feed...so fun!). 



His little vocabulary is exploding and recently he's been saying more 3 and 4-word sentences. My favorite was when we were decorating baby sister's room. I placed one of my first babydolls in her room to display and William thought it was hilarious. He started laughing and pointing and said, "I see dat baby!" Hopefully he doesn't think the baby sister we've been talking about these past few months is a doll that sits on the shelf. ;) He will be quite surprised!

Most of the times his sentences are still fragmented. He'll say things like "daddy - tractor - grass" when he sees Nathan in the yard mowing. I can tell his little brain is just soaking every conversation we have up...a little scary/exciting all at the same time ;) 


He loved brushing the goats "hairs"


Although our boy is small in stature (he still only weighs 23 lbs), he's looking and acting bigger and bigger every day. This sweet overall outfit was the one that kind of smacked me in the face - he got this as a birthday present last year when he turned one from his sweet Great Granny in Alabama. It was an 18-month-sized outfit that looked really big when we opened it. Now he fits perfectly in it! How does it feel like his first birthday party was just a few months ago, and in reality we're getting ready to celebrate his second birthday in June?!? 


Not only could this season in William's life be categorized as the "talking phase" but it's also a season in which it is all about daddy lately. It melts my heart to see William love on his daddy and prefer his daddy's time over mine. Some mom's might get jealous, but I actually love it! It means that I can sit my 9-month-pregnant belly on the couch and read a magazine while the guys chase each other outside in the 90-degree weather. ;) thankyouverymuch

This photo perfectly captures William's fascination with daddy lately. He was diagnosed with his very first ear infection 2 weeks ago. This was taken late one night in the ER when William's fever spiked so high that we were told to take him in. He wouldn't leave daddy's side for anything, and the whole time he was being evaluated he sat just like this in Nathan's arms. 


I'm not sure why, but baby sister's impending arrival has me feeling all sorts of funny emotions. The main one being mom guilt (as if we don't feel that enough, right?!). I guess I just feel a tinge guilty that William won't be the center of attention anymore - our one and only child. Although I know there's many great benefits to him (and us!) to introduce siblings into his life, I've been feeling this innate need to please him, spoil him, and do tons of fun stuff before sister arrives. (This is probably going to totally backfire on me this summer when we're stuck at the house with a newborn who wants to nurse/nap all day long). At any rate, we're making tons of fun memories during these last few months of it just being me and William at home. 

Like, strawberry picking! And playdates with friends, and visiting the local pet store for the 472 time (I'm pretty sure they're eventually going to make us buy an animal), and going to the park 50 times per week. 


Just this past week, we asked William what he wanted for his birthday and his response was "a bunny, George [aka Curious George books], M's [aka M&M's], and money." Nathan looked at me with his deep father-love eyes and said "What is it about being a parent that makes you want to give him everything he wants?" So true, my man. This little boy has our hearts. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel