Tuesday, April 1, 2014

We've Got Some Catching Up To Do...


There are lots of things I've been meaning to document on the blog lately, but life has been buzzing by like crazy for the past few weeks and blogging has taken a big backseat. I thought I'd do a "ramblings" post of sort to catch you up to speed...pardon the stream-of-consciousness post. ;)


We planted 50 new seedling trees on our property a few weeks ago. 25 White Pines and 25 Red Oaks. The White Pines are expected to grow pretty fast (some say up to 3 feet per year!). You may be wondering why we need more trees since about 7 acres of our property is wooded and we live on a quiet country road. Well, when you're married to someone who pretty much envisions your house looking like this in 20 years, it sort of comes with the territory. ;)


I'm only half-kidding. 

I've been cutting William's hair myself since he was about...six months old. His hair and fingernails grow at a ridiculous speed, and he's had about 20 haircuts since then. It used to work great for Nathan to hold him while I snipped away at his locks but now that's he a curious toddler, he's more interested in the scissors or the hair falling down his back to sit still. 


But! I finally found the perfect solution. We pulled down his old Bumbo seat recently when we were going through baby stuff, and he still fits in it. I have him sit in that, wrap a towel around his neck and secure with a clothespin and turn on a few Read-Aloud Curious George books on our iPad. It breaks my heart a tiny bit because he just looks so big to me when we do this now! 


Speaking of big...here's me at 31 weeks putting down newspaper in our Back to Eden garden. For those who have been reading this blog a while, you may know that Nathan and I started a veggie garden back in our home in NY. Well, our friends down south told us about this new approach called Back to Eden and we're trying it out for the first time this year. Thankfully, the previous homeowners already sectioned off this little plot in our backyard so we're starting small this year to see how the new approach works. If it's a success, we'll likely expand the garden next year. 


While we were busy rolling newspaper on the ground, our little sidekick was entertaining himself with a bucket of water. This boy loves water just about as much as he loves dirt. He was totally drenched, covered in goosebumps, and smiling ear to ear by the time we got done.


Our inside projects have been coming along smoothly too. We printed some vintage botanical artwork to hang above baby girl's crib (and her bedding is all washed and ready!).


We also painted the dresser for her room. I used a new technique similar to Annie Sloan Chalk, but it's made locally and it's called Blackberry House Paint. After a quick chat with the distributor who gave me very good instructions, it was so easy and I was totally done with it in about 4 hours. 

Here's the before (with just a tiny coating of the paint on top - forgot to snap one before I got started!)...


And here's what it looked like after 3 coats of paint (pre-distressing and pre-waxing). I'll post a true "After" and some more details on this in the next week or so. 


When we haven't been swamped with projects, one of our favorite things to do is watch William with his new favorite "toy" - a kids tent Nathan swiped at a yard sale for $4. 


This is usually how a morning with the "teet" (aka tent) is spent:

William: "Teet. Teet. Teet. TEEEEET!!!!"
Mommy: "You want to get in your tent?"
William: "Yea!!!!! My Mommy"
Mommy: "You want your mommy to get in the tent?"
William: "Yea!!! Teet. My Mommy!"
(we both get into the tent and William gets in and out of the tent 472 times to retrieve toys, snacks, sippy cups, stuffed animals, pillows, blankets, etc. Basically anything he can find.)
William: "Door!"
Mommy: "You want mommy to close the door of the tent?"
William: "Yea!"
(he excitedly wiggles around, sometimes laying on the pillow and saying "night-night" or feeding his stuffed animals snacks, sitting on top of baby sister, giving hugs and kisses, etc.)

Some time passes, and I try to plan my escape from the tent. Warden William is never happy when Nathan nor I try to leave the "teet" and gently tries to push us back in. Nathan usually distracts William and manages to get away, but I resolve to lay inside the tent a bit longer knowing that it's likely to take me a good 30 minutes to hoist myself out. ;)


This season in our lives can best be described as exhaustively fun and rewarding. It is tiring having a toddler and being (very) pregnant while we work on so many house projects, but I'm also having so much fun and getting so much joy out of all the family time we spend together. Many nights, Nathan and I collapse in bed at 9:30 but before drifting off have the best pillow talk about this current stage in our lives and how much we're enjoying it. 




1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, our boys would be such great friends. Wish we were closer. Henry LOVES his tent and spends many mornings filling it up with every toy and book he owns. Then he adds his blanket and pillows and there is hardly room for us.

    I've never heard of the Back to Eden garden, but I'm intrigued. Can't wait to follow along.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel