Saturday, January 4, 2014

Morning Busyness

In an effort to slow down and notice more, I've been trying to be intentional and document some of the normal bits and pieces of my day as a SAHM. Taking more photos of the everyday-this-is-not-that-glamorous-but-it's-real-life moments that make up memories, laughs, cries, tantrums, play, and learning. 

This was one of those moments...


I've learned that in the daily grind of mothering it can be all too tempting to let the day-to-day moments slip by unnoticed. Especially when you're tired and your toddler's bed time is still four hours away. Especially when you're low on energy and your toddler seems to have an unlimited supply. And especially when you're pregnant and your toddler has no idea what that means or that it's even relevant to his agenda for the day. ;)





One of the things I vowed to myself at the start of this New Year was to slow my mind and my to-do list and spend more time noticing. Noticing the adorable way William piles food into his mouth when he's hungry. Noticing how he thinks things through when he's playing. Noticing how he dances. Noticing the way his eyes curl at the ends when he smiles. 


(And while we're on the topic of noticing, on this particular night I noticed that my toddler has zero butt dimples. He went through a brief rolly baby phase around 6 months but the minute he started crawling was back to his lean and trim physique. I hope that this next baby will be rolly and squishy because William is built like a toddler body builder. Is it too much to ask for one little tiny butt dimple?!). 


We didn't tell a lot of folks this, but at his 15-month visit our pediatrician had some 'concerns' about William's development. He wasn't walking or able to stand from a seated position without support. He didn't have any teeth and his head circumference surprised her (he's had a small head since birth but it has always grown a teeny bit each visit so our former pediatrician never had concerns). 




Imagine my surprise when at his 18-month visit this past week she was amazed at his physical development from a few months back. He had two pearly whites to show off to her, and he was proud to demonstrate his walking skills. Although, he never really "walked" - he did briefly until he realized that running was more fun. And the way he stands from a seated position? Well he just plants his feet firmly on the ground and with practically no bend to his knees at all flies to his feet. Honestly, I'm a little jealous of the kid - he's got some mad muscular coordination! His head is still small, but there's nothing to be worried about (she said that's mostly just genetic and as long as it's growing we're in the clear).


These are the things I'm trying to notice more. The uniqueness of his personality and his development - they all make up this beautiful little story that Nathan and I get to be eyewitnesses to. It almost takes my breath away to be honest. Parenting is such a wonderful privilege




I'm trying to remind myself of that on days when it seems burdensome - you know the days. Tantrums galore, crying, skipped naps, thrown food, spilled milk...etc. 




It's all too easy to let those burdensome days pile up if I'm not careful enough to notice the privileges mixed in. 

Like bath time! What a joy to watch his face light up when he pours a cup of water on himself. Or to be witness to his never-ending amazement at how the water feels on his fingers when it's pouring out of the faucet.  


Or the way my heart melts onto the bathroom floor when he gives me this look. 





4 comments:

  1. I love love love your morning busyness posts. It really helps me appreciate my girls. Slow down is a good goal!!! I hope pregnancy #2 is going well for you. Isn't it so different the second time around? You don't have any time to think about the baby because you're busy with a baby that's already here! Enjoy just having 1 baby. 2 is awesome, too, it's just different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that sweet boy --- that is a precious look! Glad you are chronicling these moments. Won't William's kids love reading these posts as they grow up. You're giving him a wonderful gift to know what he was like at different ages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful post and a wonderful way to remember all those sweet moments. Ryan and I were just talking about how Henry is so taxing, so exhausting. But as soon as we put him to bed, we miss him. Your William is such a sweetheart. Love his little smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful boy you have -- a treasure, for sure. Thanks for sharing your moments.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel