Sunday, January 19, 2014

20 Weeks

So, remember that time when I wrote that blog post and said that we were definitely going to document this pregnancy as well as we did the last one? Yeah. That didn't happen. 

I'll spare you the myriad of excuses and just simply be honest - I let the weeks get away from me and totally didn't do it. 

One thing I've realized about being pregnant and having a toddler is that this time around, when I'm asked by strangers "How far along are you?" I don't respond right away with "20 weeks, 2 days, 6 hours" but more like "Ummmm - I'm not sure. I'm due June 3." The weeks have really just blurred together and it's crazy that we're here - at the halfway point - 20 weeks away from meeting our sweet blessing that will join our crazy family. It doesn't seem possible that I blinked and looked down and now have an obvious baby bump and we're putting together the nursery. Unlike my pregnancy with William, this one has gone by extremely fast so far.

So that's why today I'm being intentional (finally) and sitting down to document a bit about it. So here we go!


How Far Along:  20 weeks

Size of baby:  
At our 19-week ultrasound, we found out baby was 10 ounces and about the length of a banana.

Total Weight Gain/Loss
I'm up 10 pounds so far, which is more than I was with William at this point (I think I had only gained 8 lbs at 20 weeks with him). My goal is to not gain much more than I did in my last pregnancy (total weight gain was about 25 lbs.), so hopefully I can stick to that!

Maternity Clothes: 
I'm still wearing a lot of non-maternity shirts, but I'm wearing all maternity leggings and jeans now. 

Gender: Our 19-week ultrasound confirmed it's a GIRL! We are so excited!

Movement: She is a wiggly one just like her big brother! I'm feeling lots of kicks to the bladder and Nathan even feels them now too which is always more fun. She feels like she is sitting much lower than William did.    

Sleep:  
Sleeping wonderfully.

What I miss: 
Being able to eat a meal without feeling like I swallowed a watermelon afterwards. I don't know if it has something to do with my short torso or what, but I remember getting this with William too. I've cut my meals in half and have introduced a few more light snacks to my day and this seems to help with the discomfort. 

What I’m looking forward to: Getting baby girls nursery set up, and going on a relaxing babymoon/anniversary trip with my man in a few weeks.

Cravings:  
Watermelon sour gummies from Walgreens, chocolate milk, deli sandwiches, raw veggies with dip, eggs

Aversions: Grilled food turned my stomach for a while, but I actually had my first grilled burger last week and it tasted really good so I think I'm over the hump!

Symptoms:
 some sciatica pain every now and then, and lots more heartburn this time around but overall I'm feeling great.

Belly Button In or Out: flat

Best Moment This Week: 
 Nathan had a rare 3-day weekend, so we used it to be super productive. We got the laundry room painted and organized, a new light installed in the hallway, and new blinds for our hallway window. We also did lots of relaxing too and shared lots of laughs with our little guy. 

Weekly Wisdom: Don't even think about eating breakfast sausage while drinking orange juice and chasing it with a cup of coffee. Crazy, crazy heartburn will follow. Take my word. 

Milestones: Reaching the halfway point of the pregnancy is a pretty big one! We also took the long weekend to start ridding our 18-month-old of his beloved pacifier (Yes, he still slept with one. Don't judge me.) It has been surprisingly smooth...if I'm being totally honest I really thought he'd never sleep again...but it just goes to show that we don't always know our children as well as we think we do ;) 


And for comparisons sake, here's my 20-week photo with William (I almost started crying when I found this and put these two photos side-by-side. Ah. Pregnancy hormones.)


11 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Little girls are so special, I have two, so I know. Even today (now that they are 12 & 14) they look back at pictures and ask if I could get any bigger hair bows for them. I keep telling them probably not. They are just like women, you HAVE to have one in EVERY color, to match EVERY outfit! They just roll their eyes. Teenagers! Enjoy this special time you have before she arrives, it flies by so fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, thanks Missy! I might need some advice from you on bows and hairstyling - I'm entering all new territory!

      Delete
    2. Between my husband and I we have FOUR teenage girls (17, 14, 14, and 12) and together we have a 20 month old BOY! This boy thing is way out of our expertise. Girls are much easier, until they hit about 11 and then they develop personalities and attitudes and opinions. And you ask yourself "where did my little girl go?" With our son we just wish he stays his sweet self, but maybe minus the temper tantrums.

      Delete
  2. Eek! You look amazing - such a beautiful mom. And I am so excited for you and your baby girl! AHHHHH.... so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! We are so excited to meet her - I might need to commission you to make her one of your sweet quilts!

      Delete
  3. Love it! I can't believe you are half way there too... Seeing that pic of William makes that journey seem like yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet friend! I can't believe how fast time has flown - a few more months and we'll be celebrating his 2nd birthday! Crazy!

      Delete
  4. Yay for a little girl! You look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sonya! You're comments are always so sweet :)

      Delete
  5. What a precious picture of William touching your belly! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw! You're going to have a little boy and a little girl - so sweet. Your baby bump is so cute too! I am so stoked for you guys!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel