Friday, December 20, 2013

Life Lately

Just a few tidbits from our life lately...

From October-December, I was a little sidetracked with a wonderful project. My BFF of 15+ years commissioned me to make a memory quilt for her hubby as a Christmas surprise. I was tasked with using old shirts that belonged to his brother (who tragically passed away from a brain tumor several years back). I was totally humbled and honored that she'd ask me to quilt it for her. I know my way around my sewing machine, but I've never actually quilted before in my life! 

In my preliminary research, I stumbled upon the talented blog by Rachel Stitched in Color and found her beautiful Colorbrick quilt. She diligently laid out all the steps in a really easy-to-follow way, so I used that as my guide. Instead of following her instructions for the binding, I used Pretty Prudent's "cheat" for binding and I really liked the way it turned out...



It was a true labor of love, and I definitely have a newfound respect for quilters. However, to see the reaction on my BFF's face was well, priceless. One of the many reasons why I am so thankful we made this trek down south and chose it as our new home - being able to do this for her (and her hubby) was so rewarding. 

On a lighter note, we've also been soaking in all things Christmas and trying to make the most of the holiday season. 

One rare afternoon, Tennessee actually saw some snow stick to the ground! Since William was so little to enjoy it when we were in NY, I took the opportunity to bundle him up and show him just how fun playing in the snow was. 

He was not amused. 


"Mom, I thought we were moving away from the white stuff?!?" 

After a few minutes though, he was pretty excited. 


We also took him to see Santa. 

Again, not amused ;)



So far, his favorite holiday fun has been decorating his felt tree (handmade by our sweet family members):


Watching for deer...


And some early-morning pajama-wearing football in the back yard. ;)




There has also been a lot of fort building going on...

And spending time with his BFF - Dad. ;)

So that's what has been happening in our neck of the woods lately - one busy toddler, one quilt, one tired mama (oh yes! pregnant, tired mama) and lots and lots of fun. :)

2 comments:

  1. The quilt looks great! I have the same feelings as William does about snow. It makes me sad too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is AMAZING!!! I love the pattern so much and can't believe it's your first time. It's gorgeous.

    Also, your kid is killing me with cuteness. Henry had the same issue with Santa this year.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel