Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thankful

Happy Thanksgiving, friends! I hope you're enjoying this day off with your family.

I was contemplating this morning about all the things that God has done for me and Nathan since last Thanksgiving, and I couldn't help but take a moment to jot them down. It leaves me astonished and amazed that so much has happened in just 12 short months. I'm sure I'm missing a lot of the small things too, but here are the major highlights:

  • I prayed from the very beginning of my pregnancy that I wouldn't have any morning sickness (I know, silly prayer request!), but God answered those selfish, silly prayers and I'm so glad He did!


  • We also prayed that Nathan's job would relocate him to a store closer to our house. He was driving about 40 minutes each way to work and gas prices were starting to become a burden on us. Would you believe he now works less than 1 minute from our house? He could walk to work each day if he wanted! God is good.

  • God blessed me with a financially wise husband, but I would remiss to give all the credit to Nathan. We are well aware that our money is not our own. Every gift comes from God (James 1:17). I'm so thankful that He has provided for us this year; even after transitioning from a 2-income household to a 1-income household. 

  • We were also able to complete our major kitchen remodel this past year. I thought back on that today and I realized that every. single. thing. was a gift from God. When we almost couldn't find the rest of our kitchen tile at Lowe's because it was being discontinued, we managed to find a few more stores who had just the amount we needed in order to finish the job; our affordable kitchen cabinets; my dad's handiwork and free help; the affordable and trusted workers we found off of Craigslist to install our kitchen window and patio doors....the list goes on and on!

  • William's sleeping habits. This is another one of those selfish prayer requests that God answered. I prayed for that boy to learn to sleep through the night, and although we were diligent with his sleep schedule I know God had a huge part in it to. 

  • Good neighbors who watch out for us. We have the best neighbors - hands down. This past year, they've been so kind to us. From plowing our driveway during the winter, to making a sweet blanket for William upon his arrival home, to helping Nathan fix his lawnmower. 

  • My job situation. I knew I wanted to be a stay-at-home-mom once we found out we were pregnant, but it's funny how God orchestrated the whole process. I won't bore you with the details, but He made it very clear and easy for me to leave my job and my coworkers were thrilled for me to be able to stay at home with the baby. 

  •  God's provision when we've traveled. In the past year, Nathan and I have driven to Canada twice, flown to see family in Nashville and Huntsville, and taken some long weekend getaways. God has watched over our travel every single time.

  • I'm also very thankful that God allowed me to go through pregnancy and these first few months of motherhood with sweet friends who are right there in the trenches with me! My sweet friend Lara and my other friend Melissa both got pregnant right around the same time as me. It has been such a blessing to have mama friends. And might I add that these are mama friends who aren't afraid of getting real. I love that we can meet up and talk about our struggles, our triumphs and the silly stuff about being a first-time-mom. 
These are just a few things that God brought to my attention this morning, but as I said...I know there are MANY more small things He's done. Not to mention the big constants He has blessed me with all along....a Godly family, my far-away girlfriends (Ashley, Bethany, Vicky) who are near and dear to my heart, and of course, Nathan. 

I hope you'll find time in the busyness of today to stop and reflect on what God has done for you this past year. We have so much to be thankful for.

Oh, and one last thing. I'm especially thankful for YOU - my sweet readers. Your sweet emails and comments are so fun to read. I have made so many great friends through blogging, and I'm thankful to God for this fun and supportive place we have here. You are a blessing to me!


4 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! You've had a wonderful year full of God's blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving, Atwoods! <3 The Cashers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving - wish you were here!!! I am thankful for ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving, Rachel! I'm thankful that God brought our paths together through this blogging adventure :) He is good, and these are wonderful things - a testimony to His amazing nature.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel