Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Homemade Baby Oatmeal Cereal

Since we got the green light at William's 4-month checkup to start baby cereals, I have been so excited about making his food from scratch! Because he has a bit of a sensitive tummy, his doctor recommended we start with Oatmeal instead of Rice cereal. I found this recipe on Momtastic's Wholesome Baby Food site, and I couldn't believe how easy it was to make (and cost effective!).

I've finally perfected a consistency that agrees with William. The first few times he would just put the cereal in his mouth and spit it right out. So I worked on thinning it out. Come to find out, baby boy prefers a stickier/thicker consistency, so the recipe below is his favorite. However, if your baby prefers a thinner one, then feel free to add more water and more breastmilk or formula. 


Homemade Baby Oatmeal Cereal

These are the only 2 things you'll need - Oats (be sure you don't get the quick-cook kind!) and a spice/coffee grinder. 

You could probably do this with a food processor too, but I just ordered a cheap coffee grinder off of Amazon because I didn't want to cross-contaminate any foods and it does the trick!

Start by taking 1/4 cup of oats and grinding it into a fine powder (you don't want any large chunks). I store the powder in an airtight container and put it in the fridge until I need to make up a batch.


Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Once boiling, add in 1/4 cup ground oats. Whisk. Whisk. Whisk. Reduce to simmer, and let cook 10 minutes. Continue whisking!
Spoon out the amount you need for your baby (we're doing about 1 TBSP right now), and then add in breastmilk or formula to reach desired consistency. I'm doing about 1 TBSP of cereal + 1 1/2 tsp. formula - this seems to be the consistency William prefers. 

You can store the rest of the cooked cereal in your fridge for up to 72 hours, or freeze. Simply spoon out the amount you need, heat it for 20 seconds in the microwave and then add in the milk. 


Baby (and mom!) approved. 

Yep. I'm totally that mom who tastes her baby's food before he does. :) 


6 comments:

  1. I love making Naomi's foods. I made Nyla's too. Here's a book I use and I love it. Fresh Baby: http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Baby-Easy-Food-Kit/dp/B000GUSE5W/ref=sr_1_4?s=baby-products&srs=2592205011&ie=UTF8&qid=1352225034&sr=1-4
    And I also go to www.wholesomebabyfood.com for other ideas, meats too.
    I love the idea of knowing what our babies eat. It makes me feel better!
    He's getting so big!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is sch a sweetheart. I am hanging my head in shame because I bought oatmeal cereal. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, Kim! No judgement here! My mommy motto is always: "NO GUILT!"

      Delete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel