Thursday, September 13, 2012

Monterey Chicken

Several of you were curious how the hubs and I enjoyed the Monterey Chicken recipe I posted this week for Menu Plan Monday. The verdict is in - we loved it. The marinade made the chicken very tender, and it was packed full of flavor! We'll definitely be making this one again (and again), and fitting it into our regular rotation. So of course it was only natural for me to share it with you!

I only altered it a bit based off of Kim's tip that the marinade makes the chicken salty if left too long, so my alterations are below. For her original recipe, click here


Monterey Chicken - ever so slightly adapted from All Things Simple


Servings: 2

For the marinade:
  • 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning
Directions:
  • Place 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a large Ziploc bag with marinade. Let sit for at least 2 hours (Kim recommended only 1/2 hour, but since I reduced the salt in the marinade, I let mine sit longer)
  • Once marinated, flatten chicken and grill it on an outdoor or indoor grill (I love flattening the chicken before grilling - it doesn't take nearly as long to cook!)
For the chicken:
  • 1/2 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained (tip: if you're looking for something to make using the rest of your can of tomatoes, just whip up a quick batch of guacamole and throw these in - delicious way to use leftover tomatoes!)
  • monterey + colby jack cheese (shredded)
  • bacon bits
  • 2 TBSP barbecue sauce
Place grilled chicken onto a baking pan lined with foil. Top each piece with 1 TBSP barbecue sauce

Then top with your tomatoes w/ diced chiles

Place desired amount of cheese on top of tomatoes

And last, but certainly not least, add the good stuff. Bacon!


Cook in a 350 degree oven until cheese is melted!

Serve alongside some yummy Cilantro Lime Rice (we just make this by adding in a generous amount of lime juice + fresh cilantro to a batch of fresh cooked white rice).





3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear it was a hit, now I know I will have to make it. I made the Cajun Chicken Pasta Tuesday night and the hubs and girls all slicked it up (if the girls ask for seconds its a hit). I am making the Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili tonight. I have made it before and they really like it. Thanks for inspiring the sometimes uninspired (or maybe that is sleep deprived). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious!! I'm so glad it was a hit and that you finally had a chance to make it. I'm guessing we'll really enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel