I only altered it a bit based off of Kim's tip that the marinade makes the chicken salty if left too long, so my alterations are below. For her original recipe, click here.
Monterey Chicken - ever so slightly adapted from All Things Simple
For the marinade:
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning
- Place 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a large Ziploc bag with marinade. Let sit for at least 2 hours (Kim recommended only 1/2 hour, but since I reduced the salt in the marinade, I let mine sit longer)
- Once marinated, flatten chicken and grill it on an outdoor or indoor grill (I love flattening the chicken before grilling - it doesn't take nearly as long to cook!)
For the chicken:
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained (tip: if you're looking for something to make using the rest of your can of tomatoes, just whip up a quick batch of guacamole and throw these in - delicious way to use leftover tomatoes!)
- monterey + colby jack cheese (shredded)
- bacon bits
- 2 TBSP barbecue sauce
Place grilled chicken onto a baking pan lined with foil. Top each piece with 1 TBSP barbecue sauce
Then top with your tomatoes w/ diced chiles
Place desired amount of cheese on top of tomatoes
And last, but certainly not least, add the good stuff. Bacon!
Cook in a 350 degree oven until cheese is melted!
Serve alongside some yummy Cilantro Lime Rice (we just make this by adding in a generous amount of lime juice + fresh cilantro to a batch of fresh cooked white rice).