Monday, September 17, 2012

Grilled Ham Steak with Pineapples

One of my favorite flavor combinations is Ham and Pineapple. I love the salty-sweet combo, and any time we order pizza it's always one of my most requested topping choices. 

We've had this ham steak in our freezer for a few months now and I was torn on what to do with it...should I bake it? grill it? marinate it? My mom recommended the grill method, and boy am I glad we took her advice! 

I found a simple marinade recipe on About.com, but altered it a bit by adding in some brown sugar and marinating it a bit longer. The end result was a tender, delicious, flavorful ham that was big enough for two meals! (I love when that happens.)


Grilled Ham Steak with Pineapple - slightly adapted from About.com

For the marinade:

In a medium-sized bowl, mix together:
  • The juice from a 20 oz. can of pineapple (in 100% juice). Set the pineapple slices aside for grilling.
  • 1/4 c. yellow mustard
  • 2 TBSP. extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 TBSP. pure honey
Pour marinade in a shallow baking dish (big enough to fit your ham in), and place ham in dish (I always rinse my ham in cool water first and then pat dry with a paper towel). Sprinkle 1 TBSP of brown sugar on top and brush it over your ham. Seal dish with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour.

After an hour, remove wrap and flip ham to the other side. Sprinkle another TBSP of brown sugar and brush. Allow to marinate for 1 more hour. 

To grill:
  • Once the ham has marinated for two hours, remove from baking dish and add to a hot grill. Grill each side for 5 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees. 
  • While your ham is grilling, you can also add your pineapple slices to the grill as well. These are especially yummy on top of your ham once it has cooked!

Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I wish I would've known about this recipe 2 years ago lol. I had a ham steak in my freezer for months and months and never knew what to do with it so I tossed it. :( I hate tossing food out but it was way old and I couldn't find anything appetizing to do with it. I'll keep this in the back of my mind now. Thanks for sharing!
    Your boy is growing so big! I know you're loving every second. I hope y'all are doing great!!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel