Nathan got the cold earlier in the week (which is where William must have picked it up), so I took the time to whip up a true comfort dish for my man. In a nutshell, it was so delicious. It sounds like it takes a lot of work, but it came together really quickly. Oh, and the homemade Alfredo sauce? Out of this world!
I modified the recipe a bit to make it a tad healthier (reduced the amount of cream in the sauce, and the amount of cheese used), so my changes are below. For the original recipe, click here.
Chicken Alfredo Roll-Ups - slightly adapted from The Recipe Critic
Makes: 9 roll-ups
For the Alfredo Sauce:
- 1/2 c. butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese (to make it a bit healthier, you could try Neufchatel, but I can't guarantee the same results. I think I'll try this next time though to see how it turns out!)
- 1 c. half and half
- 1 c. milk (I tested with 1%)
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 2/3 c. grated Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- You'll want to prepare your sauce first because it takes about 15 minutes. To do this, start by melting the butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add minced garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the cream cheese and whisk until melted.
- Whisk in cream and milk.
- Season with garlic powder, Italian Seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Cook until thickened (about 15 minutes). Add cheese, and stir until melted.
While your Alfredo Sauce cooks, you can start on your Roll-Ups. For these you'll need:
- About 12 cooked Lasagna Noodles (although the recipe only makes 9, I took the original tip to make extra. Glad I did! A few of my noodles broke during the cooking.)
- 2 c. cooked, shredded (or diced finely) chicken
- Alfredo Sauce
- Garlic Salt
- Italian Seasonings
- 2 c. shredded Mozzarella
- Preheat your oven to 350-degrees and spray an 8x8 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour a little of your Alfredo Sauce in the bottom of your pan and spread it evenly to cover the bottom. Set your pan aside.
- Once your noodles have cooked, drain the pasta water and run the noodles under cold water. Using a paper towel, blot the noodles dry and lay them out flat.
- To "build" the roll ups: Spoon about 2 TBSP of Alfredo Sauce onto your noodle, and spread it out to cover the length of the noodle. Sprinkle just a dash of your garlic salt + Italian Seasonings on top. Sprinkle a little Mozzarella on top, and then add your chicken (don't add too much or it will be difficult to roll up). Roll noodle up, and place seam-side down in your prepared pan. Do this until all 9 roll-ups are in your pan.
- Top roll-ups with remaining Alfredo sauce and shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is melted (ours took about 20).