Friday, August 17, 2012

Rest for the Weary....


I've been a little preoccupied this week with a babe who all of the sudden tends to need some extra comforting. According to what I've read and heard, we're in a "Wonder Week" aka, growth spurt, or William might just be having some "sensitive" time. 

Whatever the case...it's required some extra attention from me and Nathan, mostly during the hours of 5:30-9:00 PM, and occasionally some sporadic hours in the wee morning as well. Which means we're flat out tired y'all. It also means that instead of eating a relaxing dinner together on the couch, we're doing horrible things like eating leftover banana pudding, Goldfish crackers and Pop Tarts because dinner time this week has looked like this:


And for those curious, a singsong version of Goodnight Moon sung twice did help calm William down on this particular night. Until we put him in his crib, of course. :)

But when I'm running low on energy, patience and the emotional strength I need in order to pull it together and go in and comfort our babe one. more. time., the Lord is quick to remind me..."This too shall pass. And probably quicker than you want it to." 

I know William will only be a babe for a short time, and these "sensitive" hours, fussy times, and crying bouts will slowly get better. For now, I'm really trying to work hard on changing the one thing that's inside of my control - my reactions and my attitude. Rocking, shhh'ing, patting, reading, and swinging may take some time out of my day this week, but I'm trying to cherish these moments. For I know one day my sweet boy won't be little enough to rock, shhhsh, pat, or swing. 

And all that work is worth it when I manage to get a cute grin flashed my way...



Being a mother is one of the craziest loves...one minute you're wondering "Do I have the energy to do this anymore?!?"...and the next you're staring at this tiny little gift from God in your arms, studying his features, taking in his baby scent, and wondering..."How could our lives be any more full?" 

















6 comments:

  1. Oh, my! I love that smile! Parenting is so like that - frustration and deep joy - sometimes both in the same day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a read through 2 Corinthians 12 vs. 7-10(?) in the Amplified version:

    9 But He said to me, My grace (My favor and loving-kindness and mercy) is enough for you [sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear the trouble]; for My strength and power are made perfect (fulfilled and completed) and [b]show themselves most effective in [your] weakness.

    Therefore, I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ (the Messiah) may rest (yes, may [c]pitch a tent over and dwell) upon me!

    10 So for the sake of Christ, I am well pleased and take pleasure in infirmities, insults, hardships, persecutions, perplexities and distresses; for when I am weak [[d]in human strength], then am I [truly] strong (able, powerful [e]in divine strength).

    Those moments that take all your strength just to get up one.more.time. -- that's Him. When we are weak, we are able, and strong with divine strength. Praying for you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. You are such a sweet and loving mother. :) I watch babies in the nursery at church and that tires me out; I can't imagine doing it full-time yet though. I'm sure you and Nathan are walking zombies some days, haha. :) It's so good to hear about all the good things though and how much you love being a mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I remember those few weeks, not so long ago. As my doctor told us we have our let down time when we get home, and so does he. Of course during those fussy times, we thought little Zack had colic, was constipated, or a combination. We took him to the doctor and found out we were feeding him too much. oops! You would have thought we would know that after having four girls before. Guess your mind slips in the 11 years since the last one. Course now we know when he has those periods at night he is just tired, and will do anything and everything to stay awake. Thank goodness for Pandora and Raffi, he is sound asleep in no time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha....your comment cracked me up Missy! And you're so right - they have their "let down" time too! After a busy day, no wonder they get tired and cranky...we often do that too! ;) hehehe

      Delete
  5. Oh, his little smile is adorable. And he's getting so big. We definitely went through the same thing, and I think we went through it again last week. But, who knows. Babies are just so unpredictable. Hang in there, momma.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel