Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Mama Knows Best


Remember when I showed you here how my little guy hates swaddling? I don't know when, how or why he developed such distaste for it. He loved being swaddled in the hospital, and even in our first days home...as seen below. (Don't even get me started on how tiny he looks there! can time please stand still?!?)


But eventually Houdini (aka William) figured out how to wriggle his way right out of even our best attempts to swaddle . . .

In those first few days, this wasn't that big of a deal because any time he'd wake himself up (darn you, moro reflex) we were quick to swoop him up and cuddle him back to sleep.

But now that we're trying to develop some sort of napping schedule for William, the constant waking needed to stop. I debated on what to do. Swaddle, or no swaddle? He hates being swaddled and even fusses when we do it, but at the same time, if we don't swaddle, we end up with a baby who wakes 20 minutes into his nap time.

No thank you.

Enter SwaddleMe...


Also know as my sanity saver. 

Yes - it does resemble a straight jacket. And yes - baby boy does fight me every. single. time. I put him in it. But the velcro tabs on this puppy have proven to be the strongest of any swaddle we've tried thus far, so we're stickin' with it!

Why do I wrap my sweet Houdini up like a velcro burrito if he doesn't like it? Because although he may not enjoy it at first, he does enjoy full naps and being well-rested in the end, and this is the only way we can accomplish that. :)


   

9 comments:

  1. So cute! If that's what gets him to sleep then that works! :) Like you said, you want him to wake up feeling well rested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG that was our story too! I just posted today how the only way he will sleep now is in the Swaddle Me! (I agree with the whole time standing still thing! I can't believe how big my little guy has gotten in just a few short months!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved using the swaddle me. My baby didn't like to be swaddled either, so I would just wrap her under her armpits so she would still be somewhat swaddled with her arms out and she loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. None cuter than a sleeping baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had the same issue with both girls! And the SwaddleMe didn't work for either, especially Nyla. She could get out of that thing like it was nothing. And we called her Houdini too. :) We asked D's cousin (who happens to be a Pediatrician and mom of 2) and she told us about the Miracle Blanket. Can we say lifesaver?? www.miracleblanket.com It looks even more like a straight jacket and I had issues with wrapping her up like that because I have fears of being wrapped up like that. But she didn't know any better and she started sleeping like a champ after that. If he finds his way out of the swaddle try the miracle blanket. It really is a miracle!!! He's getting so big. I know y'all are enjoying every second of him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been following your blog for about two years now, I am loving the baby posts as we are expecting our first baby this September (so soon!!!) We have received some of those wraps so I will keep this advice in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridget - congratulations!!! I know you must be getting excited! You will LOVE the SwaddleMe!!

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness, how precious! Congrats on finding something that works. A well rested baby makes for a more rested mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's such a sweetheart. Mama totally knows best on this one. And we actually outgrew our small swaddle mes (boohoo, he's getting so big), so we have some larger ones now. They are the best.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel