Monday, June 4, 2012

Mirror, Mirror

As if putting the finishing touches on William's room and the kitchen weren't enough, we also decided to tackle a small project in our bathroom too. What can I say? The nesting bug has bitten us both!


Our bathroom is one of the few rooms we haven't done much to since we moved in. We painted the walls, hung some artwork, switched out the faucet on the vanity, and that was about it . . . 



It's a small space so it makes sense that the vanity is small, but we were also living with this itty bitty oh-so-tiny medicine cabinet . . . 


In fact, it was so small and hung way too high, that I had to stand on my tiptoes to do my hair. 

But all that changed when the town next to ours opened a Home Goods (squeal!), and I managed to find a big white mirror for $40 that fits perfectly in our bathroom.

Before I show you what it looks like hanging in the space, let me show you the comparison shots. This should give you an idea of how tiny that medicine cabinet really was:


I told you. Teeny Tiny! 


Nathan got to work on removing the medicine cabinet . . . 




And we had quite the hole in our wall. Lucky for us, the mirror hangs flush against the wall, so we didn't worry about patching it up. We figure if we ever move, we'll just replace the small medicine cabinet back into that hole and take our nice mirror with us. ;)


And here's the vanity after Nathan hung our new, bright white, big ole' mirror!




It makes quite the difference, and makes me feel like I'm getting ready in a hotel room - I can get all up in that mirror's business and put on my mascara with ease. 


But there was one small problem with the switcheroo. We ended up losing storage space by replacing the medicine cabinet with a plain ole' mirror. That's when Nathan improvised and built us a little shelf below the vanity so that we could get vertical with our storage down there. 




He was nice enough to let me have the whole bottom space, while he placed his few items right on top of the little shelf he made. We still need to paint that wood piece white so that it matches the rest of the cabinet, but we're planning to do that a little later. We also have a new light fixture that needs to be installed above the vanity (goodbye track lighting!), but that's another project for another day. 


Even though this was a small change, it makes a big difference! No more calf workouts for me in the morning, and hubby still gets to store his stuff in the bathroom. It's a win-win! 

4 comments:

  1. We're thinking about doing the same thing! We have a tiny medicine cabinet behind our mirror and would love a bigger "view". This looks amazing. Do you miss the medicine cabinet yet????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simplicity is the virtue of good nature! I love your bathroom and its compactness, with its also very friendly and cool wall color. Very well done, keep it up!!

    -Irwin Zinkin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the mirror! We still haven't made it out to Home Goods yet, I'm thinking a trip is in order soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! I love the larger mirror and what a difference it makes to the room! Good idea to keep the hole in the wall. You'll want to take that pretty mirror with you! We had a ginormous mirror in our last house and the cabinet we installed in this one is much smaller. I actually kind of miss the big one. Oh well. You live and learn!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel