Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Nursery Progress

Last time I showed you a nursery update, we had painted the walls gray and my mom and I had started on the crib skirt for William's bed


I'm happy to report that this weekend we went into full nursery mode and knocked several things off of our To Do list. His room is coming together so sweetly, and I'm really excited to start decorating the walls!


Before I show you the photos, let's take a look at what the room looked like pre-baby as Nathan's office:

Pretty office-like, with lots of wood furniture, trim, and blinds. This room also didn't have an overhead light...just a few outlets to plug standing lamps or table lamps into. 

Then we slowly transitioned the room into a place for the baby (this was after the walls were painted, and an overhead light was installed, but we hadn't painted the trim white yet):

And now baby boy has white trim, white closets and a white door, along with a host of other fun stuff!

And my mom and I finally finished the bedding!
(the bumper was a true labor of love and was a mix and match of tutorials from here and here)

Here's an up-close shot of the bumper. 
The outer fabric is a white monk's cloth, lined with a white soft cotton to give it some extra durability. The inner fabric is the same as our crib skirt (2D Zoo in Pool Blue by Alexander Henry). And the ribbons are a fabric called Baja Leaves Navy by Robert Allen). We stuffed the bumper with an Extra Loft Batting poly-fil, and I have to say...it's the softest bumper ever. I seriously want to crawl up in baby boy's crib myself and go to sleep next to that thing! We also added piping to the top of the bumper to give it some pizzazz. 
(Oh, and before anyone starts worrying about baby boy's safety with the bumper, we're well aware that these are a hazard for tiny babies, and we fully intend to remove it until he's a little older and can sleep safely with it installed)

We also rolled out the rug...it's an old lime green jute from Pottery Barn that I used back in my college dorm room 6 years ago. It only got used for two semesters and was just sitting in storage at my mom's house. It works so perfectly with the colors in the bedding!

And here's a view of the closet and bedroom doors painted bright white. Ahhhh, there's nothing that does it for me like bright white trim. It truly changes a space. 

And speaking of changing, here's William's changing table/dresser that we swiped at a yard sale last fall. I still need to figure out what to put on that wall, but we're starting to narrow it down. I also put out his diaper pail, which was an Ikea find on our Toronto trip a few weeks ago. 

 Now all that's left on our To Do list is:

  • Paint the room, and the trim, window sill and closet doors
  • Add a door to the room
  • Buy curtains (done, I just need to hang them!)
  • Finish crib skirt
  • DIY a changing pad cover
  • Reupholster Rocker seat cushions
  • Lay down the rug
  • Hang artwork
  • Figure out something for the lighting (we found an extra light in our basement that was FREE and it worked perfectly!)

3 comments:

  1. Love the changes - especially the white paint. Kudos to you and your mom for making the crib skirt and bumper pads - they look amazing! (Professional, I might add.) It's coming together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yowza! This looks SO good. Baby boy doesn't know how good he's going to have it. Love love love the bumpers. They turned out so well and I love the inner and outer fabric. The fact that you made them is killing me! They look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what progress! that room looks amazing :) Love the bumper and rug - what a great way to recycle.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel