Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Sausage and Pepperoni Stuffed Calzones

A couple weekends ago, when Hubby and I took our fall foliage trip to the Adirondacks, we stumbled across a cozy little restaurant called Little Italy. We split an order of garlic knots, hubby ordered a calzone and I ordered a honey mustard chicken wrap. 


That's the last time I'll ever order a chicken wrap in an authentic Italian restaurant...hubby's calzone and the garlic knots were so good, I barely got half of my wrap down. I don't know what I was thinking, but I was obviously in the mood for honey mustard chicken when I went in there. When I came out, all I could think about was how we should've ordered 12 garlic knots instead of 6 and how I hoped Nathan would split his leftover calzone with me.


This was our attempt to recreate our Little Italy calzone. Next time, I'm definitely going to increase the mozzarella and decrease the ricotta - the Little Italy calzones were a bit cheesier and we tend to like that better. However, these did curb our cravings and were super easier to throw together.


Sausage and Pepperoni Stuffed Calzones - The Atwoods
Makes two 12-inch calzones
  • 1 lb. dough ball (we just bought ours already made, but you can definitely make your own! Click here for our favorite whole wheat pizza crust recipe.)
  • 1/2 c. ricotta cheese (or less if you're not a big fan of ricotta)
  • 1 c. mozzarella (or more if you're a big fan of mozzarella)
  • 2 mild Italian sausage links, casings removed and cooked
  • 1 tsp. garlic, minced
  • pepperoni...as many as you like
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasonings
  • Marinara sauce, for dipping


Start off by cooking up your sausage with your garlic...
Disregard the fact that it looks a little burnt...sausage is one of those things I like better a little on the extra-done side ;)

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together your ricotta, mozzarella and Italian seasoning
And recruit that charming husband of yours to roll out your dough into two 12-inch circles ;)

Then assemble your calzone! You want to put everything sort of in the middle so that you have room to fold over the dough. Add in your cheese mixture, top with your meat and then fold dough over and press with a fork to seal. Place on your baking sheet or pizza stone.

And recruit that charming husband of yours again to baste the tops of the calzones with olive oil. 
Pop those puppies in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes, or until done, and then you have yourself a big honkin' calzone!

Stuffed with all that yummy cheese and meat!

Enjoy served with your favorite marinara dipping sauce.






2 comments:

  1. Rachel, It is a joy to come and visit you! Your calzone looks wonderful! And I think it is darling that you recreated a dinner you had on a Autumn foliage trip!
    Nathan looks adorable rolling out the dough.
    I have never seen a calzone with ricotta, and I love ricotta. Going to make this for my "men" for lunch this weekend!
    So sweet to visit you!
    xo Auntie Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look so good! And, looks like you're breaking in your new kitchen well :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel