Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Fried Bologna Sandwiches

Growing up in Alabama, we partook of fried bologna sandwiches often. In fact, I still have fond memories of eating them with chips and salsa on Sunday nights after church with my family. So, when Nathan saw an episode of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives featuring fried bologna sandwiches, he immediately asked "What's that?!?!" and I got such a kick out of telling him all about the yummy goodness. Either I have a way with words, or he was really hungry because he begged me to make it for him when we got home. 


Fried Bologna Sandwiches- The Atwoods
  • bologna (as many slices as you need for your sandwiches)
  • 1 medium onion, sliced
  • spicy or regular mustard
  • sliced cheese
  • bread
Start by pouring a little olive oil into your pan and sauteing your onions on low until tender

When the onions are almost tender, throw in your bologna and turn your heat up to Medium
The bologna will start to cook quickly, and you'll wanna' keep an eye on it. It even starts to form this fun little bubble in the center :)

Once it's good and brown on both sides, then you know it's done!

You can now assemble your sandwich! I toasted my bread, but you can leave it un-toasted if you wish. Slather some mustard on it, plop some cheese on your hot bologna so it gets melty, and top it all with those delicious onions!

Enjoy!!






7 comments:

  1. Love your Blog! Now I am hungry for that sandwich!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness! My grandma used to make these for us and we'd eat them on the front porch! So southern, right? =) She also used to make us grilled cheese in the oven - I loved those better than the ones made on the stove, haha. Maybe it's just a grandma thing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! My boyfriend would love these! I used to eat bologna and cheese everyday for school lunches growing up. It was a special occasion when my dad would make me a fried bologna and cheese sammie. What a great idea...and one I'm making very soon with my boyfriend! Thanks for such a wonderfully comforting recipe!
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel this brought back memories from when I was little girl!!

    Oh I have a Designer Pillows Giveaway! I hope you will join! ( a great resource as well)

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. We totally ate these growing up! No cheese or onions with ours - just plain but oh so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad would love this! He talks about fried bologna quite often. When we were at the minor league baseball game in Louisville in June, one of the items on the menu at the ballpark was fried bologna!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow these look so good - I love fried onions on sandwiches, too bad the husband doesn't! Check out the link for your Liebster blog award.

    http://millerfamilyorganizer.blogspot.com/2011/10/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel