Thursday, September 22, 2011

Taco Chicken Bowls

A few weeks back I spied this recipe over on Budget Bytes and knew it would be a hit in our Mexican-food-lovin' Casa. It sounded very similar to the Southwestern Crock Pot Chicken recipe we enjoy, but it included a few extra spices and the addition of the rice. I gave it a whirl and was very impressed. It had wonderful flavor, was perfect over the white rice and it even went great wrapped in tortillas as leftovers that same week. We'll definitely be eating this one again (and again), so I thought it was worth mentioning here on the ole' blog.


According to Budget Bytes, this recipe costs $10.66 to make - you can't get Mexican food anywhere for that cheap (except for maybe the Bell...which let's face it, really isn't Mexican). My hubby might disagree with me on that one though. ;)


Taco Chicken Bowls - Budget Bytes

  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (you can use frozen!)
  • 1 (16 oz.) jar of salsa....our favorite has become this one from Wal Mart - it's surprisingly delicious and cheap (although not too spicy, so if you're looking for something with a kick you might want to try another kind)

  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 8 ounces frozen corn
  • 1 TBSP chili powder
  • 1/2 TBSP cumin
  • 1/2 TBSP garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp oregano (we left this out, but I'm sure it adds nice flavor)
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne 
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • cilantro, for garnishing
  • rice
  • cheese for garnishing

Place everything (except rice, cilantro and cheese) into your Crock Pot. Add in 1/4 c. water and stir to get everything nice and combined. Cook on LOW for 8 hours. When it's done, shred your chicken and stir to combine. 

Serve over white rice, and garnish with shredded cheese and cilantro

Enjoy!






7 comments:

  1. This looks delish! I'll have to look for that salsa in Walmart, it reminds me of that Corn & Black Bean salsa from Tastefully Simple. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why but I'm just now seeing this recipe. And I'm going to need to make it ASAP! I crave Mexican on a weekly basis (sounds like y'all do too) and I don't make it near enough. I think I get tired of just plain taco's. But these will be on my menu in the next couple of weeks. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! And you could easily make it cheaper with a different cut of chicken! I just bought whole chickens for .68 a pound and I make my own salsa!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that recipe - it's incredibly good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just had to come by and say I made this yesterday, and we're in love! A definite repeater. The corn makes it just sweet enough while still having that spicy kick. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it Trude! We love that recipe - so easy to throw together! :)

      Delete
  6. Made for dinner tonight...excellent! Hubby and teenage son also loved it. Next time I am trying chicken thighs to see how it comes out. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel