I know you’re surprised to see me posting a Mexican-inspired recipe. It’s not like me to do that sort of thing. I mean, after all, me and the hubs practically detest the stuff. [grin]
Of course, if you’ve been a reader of this little blog long enough, then you know I’m totally joshing you!
I found my pink edition BHG cookbook buried in the guest bedroom last week and started flipping through it for inspiration. When I read the list of ingredients for this one, I knew it would be a hit. Nathan was a little skeptical at first because he’s not really a bean man, but I’ve learned how to
Bread, cheese, beans, cilantro…the four basic food groups…all paired into one delicious meal. We added beef in ours too, but you could easily make this vegetarian or slap some chicken in there to make it suit your tastes.
Tostada Pizza - adapted from Better Homes & Gardens, pink cookbook
- 1/2 lb. ground beef (or chicken, or no-meat)
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chile peppers, drained
- 2 TBSP taco seasoning mix (this is about 1/2 of the envelope if you buy yours at the store)
- 1/2 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 (10 oz) refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 (15 oz) can refried beans (we tested with Old El Paso)
- 1 c. shredded cheddar (or Monterey Jack)
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro, for garnishing
- You can also garnish this with fresh shredded lettuce, sour cream, etc.
In a large skillet, cook your meat until brown. Drain fat. Stir in 3/4 c. water, chile peppers, tomatoes, taco seasoning and chili powder. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes or until most of liquid is gone.
Meanwhile, grease a 12x8 inch baking sheet. Pat pizza dough into pan and bake in a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and spread refried beans on top, followed by your meat mixture.
Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese (if needed, place back in oven to melt the cheese). Once melted, top with desired fixins.
Just look at all that gooey goodness!
Enjoy, served on your best foam china plates :)