It actually worked out better because the cake turned out very patriotic.
Try this next time you're in the mood for a summer cake that is light enough to serve alongside some yummy vanilla ice cream. The hint of orange really takes it over the top!
Mixed Berry Buttermilk Cake -- slightly adapted from Bon Appetit
- 3/4 c. butter, room temperature
- 2 1/3 c. cake flour
- 10 - 12 oz. of fresh berries (the recipe calls for blackberries, but blueberries and raspberries made a nice alternative!)
- 1/4 c. + 1 1/3 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 c. well-shaken buttermilk
- Powdered sugar for dusting
**You will also need a 10" springform pan for this one!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray some non-stick cooking spray in the bottom of your pan and line with a parchment round. Spray a little more cooking spray on top of parchment.
- Line bottom of pan with berries, and sprinkle evenly with 1/4 c. of your sugar.
- Stir flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, beat 3/4 c. butter and remaining sugar in a large bowl at med-high speed until fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in vanilla and zest. Reduce speed to low.
- Beat in flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk in 2 additions. (You will begin and end with the flour)
- Once incorporated, pour batter over berries in pan and smooth.
- Bake until cake is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean near the middle (the recipe says to bake for 1 hr 25 mins, but I took the advice of the reviewers and checked mine at 45 minutes and it was done, so be sure and watch this puppy!)
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes and then remove and invert. Peel off parchment and dust with powdered sugar. Let cool completely before serving.
We served ours alongside some classic vanilla ice cream and drizzled some blueberry syrup on top!
Or if you wanna keep it simple, you can definitely serve this solo alongside some piping hot coffee.