Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Come to my (Kitchen) Window

Yes, I totally just referenced Melissa Etheridge in my title. And no, I haven’t had my coffee yet. Score one for craziness creativity without caffeine!

It’s been a while since I’ve given you the low-down on our kitchen progress, but things are looking different around here lately so I thought it was high time to show some updates.

You may remember me telling you that we scored a sweeeet deal on a new kitchen window and some exterior French doors (thank you Craigslist!).

Here’s how things were looking way back when . . . this is pre-renovation, but it’ll give you an idea of the window and the sliding glass doors we had.



Nothing was terribly wrong with either . . . except that the kitchen window wouldn't open and the sliding glass door sounded like a baby screaming at full throttle when we opened it. What? That’s not normal? 

Since neither of us were keen on jammed-screaming-baby-windows, we decided to shop around for some replacements. Enter Craigslist.

Buuuuut, since we got our deals off of Craigslist we couldn’t just hire our BFF’s at Lowe’s to install them for us (apparently there’s something called “liability” pfsh!). So, we hit up Craigslist again and found some handy dandy window installer guys who could do it for us. I have to admit, I was a little nervous at first about some stranger “expert” coming into our home and installing our windows. I managed to conjure up a whole host of things that could have gone wrong, but I’m happy to report that they weren’t serial killers and they did an amazing job!

Here’s how the space looked after the window and doors were installed . . .

We still have to get some trim to go around them and paint it white (and yes, I do remember that I just painted the old trim like 2 months ago. pfsh again). And I also wanna' get my brushed nickel spraypaint after that brass hardware on the doors! 

In other news, while we were soaking up the rays in Mexico, my dad and mom sweetly slaved away on our kitchen tile. (My dad offered to save the dining room tile job until after we returned because Nathan really wants to learn how to do it.) And this is what our little floor is looking like as of late . . .
(You can see our old tile in those photos above with the sliding glass door.) 
I am so stinkin’ in love with the new tile! Our BFF’s at Lowe’s managed to get us extra when we saw we were running low, and let me tell you it was no easy feat! It’s not a regular stocked item, so we were sweating it when we found out we didn’t purchase enough. Luckily, a few stores in Buffalo had plenty of boxes left and we did an in-store transfer to get the rest. We didn’t realize they did those sorts of things at Lowe’s, but they totally do and there’s no shipping costs – this moves them up even higher on our BFF list.

And, last but certainly not least, we had the countertop guys come out last week to measure, and in 4 days and counting I will have them installed! I am so excited to have countertops again. Woo-to-the-Hoo for no more card tables! I’ll be sure to give you a countertop update once they’re installed.

Oh, and just to give you a little tease . . . we painted the kitchen last night! I can’t wait to show you the finished product. :)

Because I strive to be a responsible blogger, please note that we are not literally BFF’s with Lowe’s and they in no way, shape or form gave us any compensation for mentioning their name here. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. We have given them lots (and lots) of compensation. So much so that we’re now on a first-name basis with some of their amazing staff. The end.




8 comments:

  1. Clearly Huntsville is lacking in the Craigslist area. I can't believe you guys keep scoring these great finds! I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! It's coming along so well! =) Those cabinets look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the progress! I can't way to see it all finished. I'm so excited for your excitement! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! Love the new window and the doors :) What color...?! And, what kind of counter tops??

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! You're almost done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's looking great - LOVE that french door and that you found it on craigslist...way better.

    Thanks again for the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kitchen countertops is one of the most desirable property improvement projects for several homeowners. A brand new kitchen increases the value of your property and makes your life simpler. The very first step to your new kitchen is to set a budget. Decide how a lot money you're willing to spend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve seen the kitchen reveal, and it’s great! :D How unpleasant it must be not to be able to open your kitchen window, especially when the atmosphere is turning damp. Thanks to Craiglist, you’ve found a double-hung window! It’s probably one of the most effective windows in providing ventilation.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel