Friday, July 22, 2011

BBQ Chicken & Cheddar Sandwiches {Husband Approved!}

***Please note: I've been making some updates to the blog to make it more user-friendly and easy on the eyes. Please be patient with me as I update it. There may be some glitches, but hopefully I'll have everything back to normal soon. Thanks!***

The recipes that make it to our Family Favorites List go through a strategic screening process. First, I decide if it will fit into my schedule...most recipes for us need to be made in less than 30 minutes because me and hubs get crrrranky when we're hungry. Two cranky people in one household? nothankyou. Second, it need not contain any funky ingredients that I'm not ever going to use again (swiss chard, for instance).


After it meets those two criteria, I print the recipe off on paper...not the most environmentally friendly way, I know, but if I had my laptop in the kitchen with me that would be disastrous. If it passes the husband test, then I take out my recipe cards and ball point pen and give it a permanent spot in our recipe binder. I also tend to share it with you here. :) 


There's been many a recipe that's made it straight to the trash and isn't even given recipe binder consideration, but the one I'm sharing with you today...well, Nathan gave it high priority. In fact, before swallowing his first bite, he managed to mumble out the words "put it on the cards!" while almost choking. 


Make this and make your man happy. You might like it too if you're into cooking things in bacon grease. I totally am.


BBQ Chicken & Cheddar Sandwiches -- ever-so-slightly adapted from Recipe Shoebox 


  • 4 strips thick-cut bacon
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half length-wise...this makes the sandwich not too thick, and it'll stretch your chicken out to save you money!
  • 1 c. or more of your favorite BBQ sauce (we tested with Kraft original)
  • 1/4 c. water
  • 4 hamburger buns (the original recipe calls for onion rolls, but sadly our local grocer didn't have these in stock so we used regular ole' buns)
  • shredded cheddar cheese
  1. Cook your bacon in a deep skillet; drain reserving 1 TBSP of the grease (I reserved a bit more...I'm a sucker for bacon fat). Set bacon aside.
  2. Transfer chicken breasts into your bacon grease and cook until golden brown on one side (about 4 mins). Flip and add your BBQ sauce and water.
  3. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce is thickened; about 8 mins.
  4. Remove chicken from skillet, place on top of hamburger buns (open faced); add bacon and sprinkle with cheese. 
  5. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 4 mins or until cheese and melted and buns are golden brown.


Enjoy with your favorite sides...we paired ours with french fries and fresh pineapple.







4 comments:

  1. I can see why he almost choked when saying "put it on the cards." This looks great and my Hubs and I would probably love it just as much. We're suckers for a good bbq chicken sandwich and add bacon too? Um yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks delish :) I always find great recipes from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum-o!!

    We'd love this for dinner... :)

    Hope you're having a blessed Friday.
    {by the way, I'm enjoying the new look!}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving your new look AND I saved this recipe to try!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel