Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Let's Take This Out Back

I've been blabbing on and on about the kitchen remodel lately that I've failed to show you what's been going on outdoors at Casa Atwood this year. 


Oh. You just thought we were doing the kitchen remodel? Well, that's what the guys have been up to. The lady folk, however, started the summer off doing several outdoor projects.


The first being weeding. Lots and lots of weeding. We also agreed that this year, the vegetable garden was not meant to be. It was a lot of fun last year, but it was also tons of work and required lots of attention -- something we just couldn't give this year with so much going on indoors.


At the beginning of the spring, Nathan and I sat down and outlined what all we wanted to accomplish outdoors this year. Here's a little rundown of our progress so far:


We have this row of Rose of Sharon trees that runs alongside the garage, and beneath them there's a huge patch of ground cover. My mom and I worked hard one Saturday to weed this bed and relocate some of the ground cover to a more breathable home.



We ended up placing it at the base of my wildflower bed in the back . I'm taming this space to become a free flowing bed so that there's not much maintenance. It's pretty green right now, but hopefully in July those guys will start blooming!


Our plans are to add a trellis in between those two trees so that it allows for some privacy between us and our neighbors . . . 


And I'm also hoping to buy something that grows up the trellis so that it helps encourage that whole "wildflower-y" vibe we're trying to create. Possibly some climbing roses or some other bright, fragrant climber.


We also had so much of the ground cover, that we decided to re-plant some under our tree out front. We're hoping it all grows together nicely next year, even though it looks a bit sad now. :)




Sadly, our ice dams during the winter killed our new boxwood bushes, but thankfully we still had a 1-year warranty on them and we were able to switch them out with some new baby boxwoods. They'll take a while to grow, so we've noticed our hosta's are really crowding the little guys out. 


I plan to split the hosta's this fall along with some of my overgrown lilies and transplant them to our "side bed" here . . .


We've also got big plans this fall to cut down these bad boys out front. This is our view from the porch . . . 15 feet of honeysuckle plants. My dad actually needs some for his back yard for privacy, so he's offered to take them off our hands. (score!)


Most recently, we had our driveway sealed and it's amazing how much better it looks! 





And of course, it wouldn't be summer if I didn't throw the rockers on the porch 


Along with some new critters my mom bought me :)


So there you have it! That's what the womenfolk have been up to since the men have been indoors hammering, nailing and sweating away. 

Oh, and we might have kicked up our feet once or twice and done a bit of magazine perusing . . . just maybe. :)


So what about you? Are you growing anything fun this summer? Transplanting anything overgrown? I'd love to hear!






3 comments:

  1. I have the snail! I didn't know they made a butterfly! The flowers around our tree out front are pretty sad too. A couple of the hostas are growing, but every year I've been splitting them to keep more around the tree. I filled in with some impatiens, but it's still bare! The rest of our beds are in pretty good shape, except for a couple of bushes that are suddenly losing their leaves again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the work! You ladies have been busy :) The chairs are perfect... we might need to find ourselves some of those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you've done with the yard! I wish I had a green thumb. I haven't done anything in my yard in the year we've lived here.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel