Thursday, June 16, 2011

Kitchen Remodel Progress: Light Up My Life

We're now roughly 2 1/2 weeks into our kitchen remodel project, so I thought it was time to give you a little update-a-roo. 


You may remember our kitchen was looking a little like this last time . . .



Well, I'm pleased to show you that it's now looking a little like this . . . 


It may not look that different in photos, but do you notice my new recessed lighting?!? Yeah. I'm pretty stoked about that. And my two favorite men are even more stoked. That's what they've been wrestling with for the past week, and I am so thrilled it's finally installed, working and my old bulky fluorescent is g-o-n-e.

We've gathered that whoever owned this house before us must have thought they were a natural-born electrician because we've found some hilarious-crazy-dangerous-scary things going on behind those walls! I can't even begin to tell you how my two favorite men went about solving those electrical issues because it's sooo over my head, but boy am I proud of them!! I heard many grunts and sighs as they tackled this project so I know it must have been a tough one. 

And for kicks, here's a "before" of the fluorescent with the soffit:


And an "after" with the soffit removed, fluorescent removed and 4 symmetrical recessed lights installed:

It will be much brighter once we get the correct bulbs in there. Right now we just have some extra CFL's that are doing the job -- we're debating between halogen or LED for the permanent bulbs (any opinions on which is better are appreciated!).



5 comments:

  1. looks great! keep up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first saw the picture I thought "Wow"! It already makes a difference with the lighting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know which bulb is better, but they progress you've made is awesome! The new recessed lighting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lighting looks beautiful already -- yea for no more fluorescents!!

    We have hallogen lighting in the kitchen and it's very bright; not so excellent for photographing food, however {food appears more yellow than it actually is in a photo}. But, really great for lighting a space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like LED lighting. I can't wait to the price comes down on them.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel