Thursday, June 2, 2011

Garden Veggie Linguine w/ Cilantro Pesto

I don’t know about you, but once the weather hits around 80 degrees, I’m not much a fan of pastas, soups/stews or piping hot casseroles. The things I start to crave are mounds and mounds of fruit topped with honey yogurt and granola or loads of fresh veggies piled high with herbs and drizzled with some olive oil. Anyone hungry yet? Just me? Great. I also crave things like ice cream and really sweet lemonade, but we’re talking healthy stuff here today so I’ll leave those out of it. For now. (grin)


I spied this recipe in my most recent issue of Better Homes & Gardens and knew I had to make it. It had the best of both worlds – pasta (which is my ultimate comfort food), chocked full of seasonal veggies, fresh herbs and tossed in a citrus olive oil sauce that is so light it just screams summer! 

Try this next time you’re in the mood for a summery pasta dish that won’t leave you feeling as full as Dolly Parton’s hair on a hot southern day.

Garden Veggie Linguine w/ Cilantro Pesto -- BHG, May 2011



 *Disclaimer: Before you flip your lid and think that my potato and steak lovin’ man has gone off and started eating zucchini, pesto, or any other kind of sauce that isn’t marinara, don’t worry . . . he did not partake in this deliciousness. He got one look at the oranges mixed with pasta, snarled his cute freckled nose, and plopped a frozen chicken patty in the microwave. I love that man.

  • 8 oz. linguine or spaghetti
  • 1 medium zucchini, sliced
  • 8 oz. package baby carrots, halved
  • 2 seedless oranges
  • 1/2 c. good olive oil
  • 1 c. fresh cilantro leaves
  • (1 tsp. dried mustard) -- I didn't use this because I didn't have any on hand, but if you do I bet it would add a nice kick!
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
Start by cooking your pasta. In the last 5 minutes of cook time, add in your zucchini and carrots. Drain, but reserve 1/4 c. pasta water. Set aside.

Meanwhile, mix up your pesto sauce in a food processor. 
Instructions: peel and quarter 1 orange, add it and your olive oil, cilantro, pasta water, 1 tsp. salt, mustard, garlic and red pepper.

Pulse until well blended.

Peel and chop remaining orange. Toss all together; top with additional cilantro and orange peel if desired.







1 comment:

  1. Wow, this looks amazing! This is right up my alley. Can I come over for leftovers? Haha!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel