Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Knock-Off Pig in the Potato Patch

I’ve been seriously slacking in the “recipe posting” department lately. It’s not that we haven’t tried some delicious new eats, but it’s just that I’ve been slow in getting the photos and posts up on the blog.

You may remember me sharing a favorite southern dessert recipe recently. Y’all seemed to really like it, so I thought I’d share another one today. This one isn’t sweet though . . .it’s just plain ole’ artery cloggin' comfort food.

There are many things I miss about living in the Dirty South, one of the main being the food. You can’t go wrong with anything that is fried, battered, buttered, smothered, or rubbed. Amen.
You see, there’s this little thing in the south we like to call BBQ . . . 


Just like New Yorkers know a thing or two about Italian food, we rednecks know a thang’ or two about cooking pork. One of my most favorite BBQ joints to visit when I make a trip back south is Jim 'N Nick's. You may have heard of it. It’s sort of a big deal.

They have the best cheese biscuits, and I dare you not to eat more than 5. They also have a fun laid-back atmosphere and some of the best mac-and-cheese I have ever eaten.

But there’s one dish on their menu that’s been in my thoughts and dreams now for weeks – Pig in the Potato Patch. If the name doesn’t reel you in, the description surely will: a baked potato the size of your head, cooked to perfection and loaded (I mean slap full loaded) with BBQ chicken, fresh shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, bacon (if that’s your thing, and it surely is mine), butter, BBQ sauce and whatever else your heart desires on top of a baked potato.

If this sounds like too much for you, then they also serve up a Pig in the Garden which is just as delicious if you’re trying to watch your carb intake – it’s basically a huge salad with BBQ chicken in it. Delicious!

I tried my hand at making our very own Pig in the Potato patch last week, and although it was much, much smaller, it did satisfy my craving! This is a beyond simple recipe, but hopefully it gives you some ideas for “dressing up” your next baked potato.

Knock-Off Pig in the Potato Patch -- Inspired by Jim 'N Nick's


  • 2 large potatoes
  • Sour cream
  • Cheddar Cheese
  • 2 c. shredded, cooked chicken
  • Your favorite barbecue sauce (feel free to make your own, use the store bought stuff, or jazz up the store bought stuff a little)
  • Bacon Bits
  • Butter
  1. Start by baking your potatoes. Our new favorite method is taken from Finding Joy in my Kitchen, who originally got it from Around my family table. All you do is spray the inside of your Crock Pot with non-stick spray, rinse and pat dry your taters, coat them in Olive Oil and a sprinkle of Kosher Salt. Place them inside your Crock Pot and set them on HIGH for 4 hours. They're the best potatoes you'll ever eat! So tender and moist.
  2. Meanwhile, cook your chicken and once it's no longer pink, add your favorite barbecue sauce. Cook through until mixture is heated. 
  3. Prepare your "Potato Patch" by filling it with barbecue chicken, cheese, bacon bits, butter, sour cream and extra barbecue sauce.
  4. Enjoy, and make sure to have a napkin nearby! :)
PS – because I strive to be a responsible blogger, I should note that I do not work for Jim 'N Nick's nor did they pay me to write this post. However, if anyone from their marketing team should stumble upon this and wish to compensate me for this post, I would gladly turn down their kind offer in exchange for a Jim 'N Nick's franchise to be built in Upstate NY. Or in exchange for a lifetime supply of Cheese Biscuits – whatever works. 

PPS -- I got fancy and finally added a "Printer Friendly" button at the bottom of each post. Hopefully this makes it much easier for you to print posts or recipes if you need to. 






4 comments:

  1. Lovely dish -- looks great! I'd say we'd have it for dinner, but we used up the last of our potatoes over the weekend. We still have shredded pork left (from the ribs), but I guess we'll have to find another way to use that up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....love those Jim 'n Nicks cheese biscuits! I have to admit that when Full Moon BBQ moved into town it became our new favorite. I think the potatoes there are twice as big (if you can imagine that). Chase is still grieving over moving away from Full Moon BBQ, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Taste of Texas BBQ restaurant in Spencerport has a similar potato called the Cowboy and the Outlaw (depending on your toppings) - their potato is one whole pound! If you go, that's all you can eat it's so huge. Yours looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am from texas and darn to those ribs look amazing- as do the potatoes! if i wasnt attempting to diet, i would make them!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel