Monday, May 9, 2011

Happy Birthday + May 9 Menu Plan

Before I get to our menu this week, I want to wish one very special man a Happy Birthday.

This is my sweet brother, Steven. He’s a pastor down in Alabama. He’s 31-years-young today. 


 . . .And that shirt he's wearing is totally him. (grin)

We’re six years apart, and although that should probably make our relationship really awkward, it isn’t in the least bit. He is the best big brother a girl could ever ask for. Now that I’m older, I can definitely appreciate him way more than when I was his pesky, acne covered, braces wearing little sister.

My favorite part about him? He’s just a big ole’ teddy bear! (He’ll probably kill me for writing this, but it’s true.) He’s ooey gooey and has the biggest heart of anyone I know. When I was little and he should have been making fun of me or ignoring me, he did the opposite and played dollhouses with me, and included me. And . . . I almost can’t type this without crying, he even built a wooden chair for me with his own two hands that went in my dollhouse. He took notice of the things that I liked, and he’s always been an observer; knowing when something is upsetting me or heavy on my mind.

I’m not gonna lie. It’s days like this that make it really hard to live in Upstate NY away from most of my family and friends, but I know the unique love that we have as brother and sister can’t be quenched no matter the distance between us. And that’s why I can be OK with wishing him a Happy Birthday via phone, blog or email and not giving him a big fat hug or taking him out to eat. I know he loves me, and I know he knows that I love him.

Happy Birthday, bro! Thank you for being a wonderful big brother, and a remarkably good husband and father to your family. I am so proud of you!!


If you need more menu plan ideas, don't forget to check out I'm an Organizing Junkie! Lots of great menus are posted each week for Menu Plan Monday.

This week, we're excited to try some new dishes I've found on some great foodie blogs that I've been reading. We're also super pumped about a weekend away camping with my parents!

Monday -- Rotini Lasagna w/ Veggies


Wednesday -- Steak Burritos

Thursday -- Leftover Night

Friday -- Camping!

Saturday-- Camping!

Have a blessed Monday!



4 comments:

  1. That is so sweet, Rachel - those thoughtful words are probably better than an expensive gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your menu sounds delicious. I love the ham and pineapple fried rice idea. I do ham fried rice and pineapple fried rice and never thought to put it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so sweet about your brother. Happy birthday to him! =]

    Your dinner for tonight sounds delicious! And I'm jealous that you get to go camping this weekend! I've still never been, haha! I need to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh!! camping this weekend!??! Fun.

    Happy birthday to your brother -- he sounds like the best :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel