Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Sweet Southern Delicacy

So, down south there's this little dessert called Hummingbird Cake. I'm not sure who invented it, but it was passed down to me from my Granny Martin, who got it from Southern Living. Next to the Bible, Southern Living is every southern gal's favorite book . . .or at least where I come from. 


I've seen Hummingbird Cake floating around on a couple of my not-so-southern foodie bloggers pages, and I am just so thrilled more people north of the Mason Dixon are discovering this dessert. It's a classic, and one of the best cakes I've ever eaten (we even served Hummingbird as a layer in our wedding cake). It has two of my all-time favorite fruits in it - banana and pineapple, and it's topped off with cream cheese frosting. 


But enough about why I like it . . .here's the recipe so you can try it for yourself!  Enjoy this one.


This made for a perfect Easter dessert this past weekend! I even doubled the recipe and made 24 Hummingbird Cupcakes alongside the cake.


Hummingbird Cake -- Southern Living (all-new ultimate edition)

Oh, and never mind if your cake turns out lopsided like mine . . .people will love it so much they won't even care! :)

Cake or Cupcakes:
(this recipe will make 1 three-layer cake or 24 cupcakes)
  • 3 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3/4 c. vegetable oil (I've never tried subbing applesauce in place of the oil, but I'm sure you could get away with it)
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 1 3/4 c. mashed ripe bananas (roughly 3 medium sized bananas)
  • *optional -- 1 c. chopped pecans (I'm not a huge fan of nuts in my cake, so I always leave these out)
  1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl, stir to combine. Add eggs and oil; stir until moist. Stir in vanilla, pineapple and banana (and pecans, if applicable).
  2. Pour batter into 3 greased 9-inch cake pans (or divide into cupcake pans - the batter will make 24 cupcakes)
  3. Bake at 350 for 23 minutes or until wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire racks in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely before frosting.
Frosting:
  • 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened (don't even bother getting that low-fat junk. Get the full-fat cream cheese, y'all!)
  • 1/2 c. butter, softened (is the recipe starting to sound southern yet?)
  • 1 TBSP vanilla extract
  • 1 (16 oz.) powdered sugar
  • *optional -- 1 c. chopped pecans (again, I leave these out)
  1. Beat first 3 ingredients together until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low until blended. Blend until smooth.
  2. Stir in pecans, if applicable.
Try not to eat all the frosting . . . 

And then plop it on your lopsided cake . . . 

Or cupcakes . . .

And no, it's not ghetto to use your Christmas cupcake papers for Easter. Work with whatcha' got! :)








5 comments:

  1. I have never heard of that, but it looks delicious! Yummy! Those cupcakes are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been waiting for this recipe :) Thanks!!

    I think we have the same cake stand too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, This is going in my recipe box. It sounds delicious.
    I am north of the Mason Dixon, so I have never heard of Hummingbird cake. Even the name sound delightful! And even more special that it was a layer of your wedding cake.
    And as you know I think I have the heart of a Southern belle so I will love to make this cake!
    xo Auntie Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delicious- i love the little dollop of icing on the cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is indeed a magnificent cake. I am not from the South but was making this cake back in the 60's. In our neck of the woods it was known as "Dr. Bird Cake," named after the logo for Jamaican Airlines.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel