Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Low-Cal Fettuccine Alfredo

A few weeks back I mentioned that Nathan and I have started something new in our menu plan -- at least once a week we're going meat-free. This idea came after I read an article in a health magazine that recommended this tip for folks looking to save money on their grocery bill, and eat more veggies in their diets. Surprisingly, my meat and potato lovin' man didn't put up a fight (it was probably because I said we'd be saving money, and he's all about that!). :)


I chose this recipe from the March edition of Food Network for our first meat-free night, and it was a huge hit!! I wasn't sure how a "Low-Cal Fettuccine Alfredo" would turn out. I mean, let's face it . . .part of what makes Fettuccine Alfredo so good is the gobs and gobs of cream, butter and cheese, but I was pleasantly surprised. Try this next time you're in the mood for a lighter version of this classic Italian dish.


Low-Cal Fettuccine Alfredo -- March edition of the Food Network magazine

  • 1 TBSP unsalted butter
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp grated lemon zest
  • 2 tsp all-purpose flour
  • 1 c. 2% milk
  • kosher salt
  • 2 TBSP low-fat cream cheese
  • 3/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 TBSP Italian seasoning (the recipe called for 3 TBSP fresh chopped parsley, but I subbed this instead and it still turned out delicious)
  • 12 ounces Fettuccine
  • ground pepper
  • steamed broccoli, if desired
Make your sauce by melting your butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and lemon and cook until the garlic is soft (about 1 min.). Add in flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, 1 minute. Whisk in milk, 3/4 tsp of salt and cook, whisking until thick. Add in cream cheese and Parmesan and cook until melted. Stir in Italian seasoning or Parsley.

Meanwhile, cook your pasta. Once it's al dente, reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid and drain the rest of the pasta and return it to the pot. Stir in 1/2 c. of your reserved liquid to the sauce and add it to the pasta (add more reserved liquid, if needed).

Throw in some steamed broccoli, if desired (grilled chicken would be great too, if you want to add a meat). Enjoy served with a slice of crusty Sourdough bread.







4 comments:

  1. What a surprise... I have ben out of pocket but just realized that we both are doing veggies only. Well I am keeping fish and some dairy in my diet but I am loving my life change : ) and I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YYUUMM!! Thank YOU!! XXOO, Damaris

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy! This looks soooo good. I love pasta and this sounds amazing. =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy! Love the step by step!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel