Wednesday, March 9, 2011

National Nutrition Month: Pasta Fagioli Soup


March is National Nutrition Month, and since this year's theme is "Eat Right With Color," I've decided that I'll be blogging weekly {colorful} recipes that the hub's and I are currently enjoying.

This past week, we tried a new recipe for Pasta Fagioli soup from Taste of Home. I love the Pasta Fagioli soup from Olive Garden, so I couldn't wait to try my hand at making my own! 

I adapted it a bit to fit our tastes, and to make it a bit more healthy and colorful, and the outcome was magnificent! 

Just look at all that color . . . 

We opted to make this soup vegetarian, but you could definitely throw in some turkey, chicken, beef or sausage (like the original recipe called for). If you're looking for a hearty, veggie-filled soup, then this just might fit the bill.

Pasta Fagioli Soup -- Adapted from Taste of Home


  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 c. water (or more,  if you like it more soup-y and less thick)
  • 1 can great northern beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can diced Italian style tomatoes, undrained
  • 14 ounces chicken broth (we used homemade, using a new method we just discovered, and it was so yummy! When I remember what link I got it from, I'll be sure to share :)
  • 3/4 c. macaroni noodles
  • frozen carrots, frozen green beans, or any other veggies you want to throw in!
  1. In a large stock pan, drizzle your olive oil and saute your onion and garlic until the onion is tender. 
  2. Add water, beans, tomatoes, broth, other veggies, macaroni. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered 8-10 minutes or until noodles are tender. 
  3. Top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.


Enjoy!







7 comments:

  1. You know I'm going to have to try this! Right up my alley! It looks sooo tasty. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe, since it's Ash Wednesday today, and I don't eat meat on Fridays for Lent, this is one I will try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! so hearty and delicious!

    what is the weather like where you are?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy - it looks cheerful with all that color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @claire - it's temperamental! One day it's sunny and in the 40s and the next it's snowy and in the 20s. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's gorgeous! I love the color!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel