Wednesday, March 30, 2011

National Nutrition Month: MYOTO


This is the last week of National Nutrition Month -- for those who are just now checking in, I've been blogging weekly "colorful" meals that Nathan and I have been enjoying as a way to eat a bit healthier. I've loved participating in this weekly post, so although the month is over, we'll continue eating healthy, colorful meals around Casa Atwood for many months to come! :)  


I have a bit of a confession to make: I don't really enjoy eating out. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the occasional break from cooking dinner and trying new foods, but I find it a bit uncomfortable not knowing every. single. ingredient. that goes into my food.  Call me a control freak, but I just like to be aware of how much salt, oil, butter, sugar, etc. is going into my body. And I like to eat foods with ingredients that I can actually pronounce.


However, when I first started cooking, there was one thing that I felt so intimidated to make so Nathan and I always ordered it out -- Asian Cuisine. We really love Chinese food, and I'm a big fan of Thai, so I made it my mission to discover healthy, yummy versions that I could make from home. That's why, when I spied this recipe over at Well Fed Newlyweds, I knew I had to give it a try! 


The verdict? It was a complete hit! I loved the sweet/salty/spicy combo, and the sauce made the chicken extra-moist. Try this next time you're in the mood to MYOTO (make your own take out). You won't be disappointed.


Thai Honey Peanut Chicken (slightly adapted from Well Fed Newlyweds)
serves 4

  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts -- cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1/4 c. soy sauce
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 2 TBSP lemon juice
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 2 TBSP creamy peanut butter
  • 1 tsp. curry powder
  • rice, optional
  • broccoli, optional
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, lemon juice, garlic, peanut butter, and curry powder.
  2. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Cover the bowl in plastic wrap and refrigerate (I only did this for about 30 minutes and it still tasted great, but I'm sure if you let it marinate for longer, it would taste even better!)
  3. Meanwhile, cook your rice and/or broccoli (if applicable)
  4. Pour your chicken and sauce into a large skillet. Cook for 8 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink. 
  5. Serve alongside fresh rice and steamed broccoli.
  6. Enjoy!







1 comment:

  1. I hear you with the eating out -- not knowing what's in my food (especially with a food allergy) is not something I equate with fun.

    This looks great -- I'll have to try making Chinese food at home, since that's the only way I can eat it!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel