Thursday, March 24, 2011

National Nutrition Month: Easy Lasagna Soup



I can’t believe there’s only 1 more week left in National Nutrition Month!  I’ve had the best time searching for “colorful,” healthy meals to try out on my man. The best part is, he’s been surprisingly receptive to the new dishes, which means I’ve got even more recipes to add to our Family Favorites collection

You may have noticed that many of our colorful meals have been soups or casseroles. That’s because we’re . . . wait for it . . . still getting snow in Upstate New York. Don’t be jealous.

Last week, I tried out a new recipe from my dear friend SnoWhite’s blog. If you want to see colorful, healthy meals, just scope out her repertoire of recipes – we have never been disappointed in any of the SnoWhite recipes we’ve tried!

This one was no exception. I kid you not, I whipped this up in like 15 minutes flat! (It saves time if you brown your meat the night before.)

Try this next time you’re in the mood for soup . . .or lasagna. You won’t be disappointed.  

Easy Lasagna Soup (Finding Joy in My Kitchen
  • 1 lb. ground turkey (the original recipe called for beef but we used some leftover turkey we had)
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2 cans chicken broth (the original recipe called for beef, but all we had on hand was chicken and it still tasted super yummy!)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes 
  • 1/2 c. onion
  • 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1 1/2 c. pasta 
  • 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
  • any other veggies you like in your lasagna -- you could add peppers, mushrooms, etc. We just stuck with the tomatoes, meat and pasta and it was surprisingly hearty!
  1. Start by browning your meat in the onion; drain fat
  2. Stir broth, tomatoes and Italian seasoning together in a stockpot. Add other veggies, if desired.
  3. Heat to a boil.
  4. Add pasta, cook for 10 minutes.
  5. Stir in cheese.







5 comments:

  1. Yum-O! You're making me wish I had this on our menu ... since it snowed, again.

    Glad you like it. We often use ground turkey too -- in fact, we haven't had ground beef in our house since August :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has gotten warm here in NC, but I will keep this one for cooler weather in the fall!

    (ps. I found your blog on Organizing Junkie and really enjoy your recipes! thanks!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good and perfect for a cold day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks hearty and yummmy- and so easy. When I buy my ground meat, I brown the whole package with an onion and then divide it into 1 pound packages and freeze it. Then when I need it, I pop it in microwave for 30 seconds and it's ready to use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow- this looks bomb.com haha!

    i will definitely try this (a 15 min prep time is my favorite!)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel