Thursday, March 17, 2011

National Nutrition Month: Cheesy Chicken & Wild Rice Casserole


March is National Nutrition Month, and since this year's theme is "Eat Right With Color," I've decided that I'll be blogging weekly {colorful} recipes that the hub's and I are currently enjoying.


Last week, we tried a great new recipe I found over at Picky Palate -- if you haven't checked out Jenny's site, then I highly suggest it! She posts such yummy-looking dishes and I often find myself drooling on my keyboard while reading her posts. 


I'm not really sure how "healthy" this recipe is because it is loaded with cheese sauce and topped with cheese, but it was mighty delicious and chocked full of wonderful, colorful veggies . . . and that's why I chose to highlight it today. :)


Try this next time you're looking for something comforting, and colorful!


Cheesy Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole -- Jenny Flake @ Picky Palate
(Jenny's recipe makes enough to serve 8-10, but I halved it and baked it in my 8x8 dish -- this was perfect for the hub's and me!)

  • 3 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 med. onion, diced
  • 3 stalks celery, diced
  • 3 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 2 TBSP garlic, minced
  • 2 C. shredded, cooked chicken breast
  • 2 C. steamed white rice (I'm sure you could use brown too!)
  • 2 C. steamed wild rice 
  • 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
  • 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. Garlic Salt
Cheese Sauce:
  • 4 TBSP butter
  • 1/4 C. all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
  • 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
  • 2 C. chicken broth
  • 2 C. shredded cheddar
  • Additional 1 1/2 C. cheddar for topping

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute your onion, celery and carrots until soft -- about 10 mins.

Stir in garlic, and cook 1 minute. Stir in chicken, both rices, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Reduce to low.

Prepare your cheese sauce -- melt butter into a saucepan over med-high heat. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper then slowly pour in chicken broth, whisking continuously. Whisk until thick and nearly boiling, then stir in cheese until melted.

Pour your cheese sauce into your casserole, and stir to combine. Transfer to a baking pan. Top with additional cheese, and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted through.


5 comments:

  1. That looks like good Southern comfort food - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Wild Rice!! A true MN dish :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll just have this without the chicken and I would be super happy! Love rice and veggies! And of course cheese. =] yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so great - my mouth is watering! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a Minnesota girl. Wild rice is my comfort food. Yummm!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel