Monday, March 21, 2011

Marital Monday + March 21 Menu Plan


For the past several weeks, Nathan and I have been enjoying a new study with our Monday night small group -- iMarriage by Andy Stanley. I highly recommend it! Our group has been watching the video lessons and then doing some discussion, and it's been insightful and fun to learn more about our spouses. 

Since I'm enjoying the study so much, I thought today I'd share with you one of the eye-opening highlights from last week's lesson that really changed my perception of marriage.

Andy says . . . .
"[Marriage with your spouse] is a special assignment created by God uniquely for you. No one else can fulfill it . . . you have been chosen as God's number one method of expressing His love for your spouse . . . How do you do this? Decide that your spouse doesn't owe you anything. Only then are you free to love. And you then can experience the unconditional love of your spouse."
If you're like me, you may have to let that statement sink in for a bit, but once it did . . . it blew my mind wide open! Out of all the women in the world, God gave me the assignment of marrying Nathan, and no one else can fulfill this, and out of the all the women in the world, God chose me as His #1 method of expressing His love to Nathan! Putting marriage in this perspective made me feel so honored. So blessed. So excited. So unworthy. So challenged. 


I walked away from our study last week asking myself these questions:

  • Am I doing a good job of showing God's love to Nathan?
  • Am I honoring God in His special assignment to me?
  • Do I think Nathan "owes" me anything in our marriage?
  • How can I demonstrate unconditional love to Nathan this week?
And afterwards, I felt so excited to start changing my perceptions of marriage and start viewing it as the #1 way to show God's love to Nathan. 

Thank you, Lord, for blessing me with the assignment of marriage to Nathan. What a wonderful, special, unique and honorable assignment it is! Thank you for teaching us more about You and about marriage. Help us to glorify You in our marriage and to demonstrate to each other how much You love us.



I'm so excited the warmer weather is {hopefully} making its way to Upstate NY! Although our grill is still wrapped in tarp and sitting in storage, we're hoping it can make a grand appearance on the menu plan very, very soon. 


Until then, we'll enjoy some more winter-ish foods this week. I did, however; purchase a fresh pineapple from the store this weekend, and I can't wait to slice that thing up and pretend it's 80 degrees outside! :)


Monday-- Leftover Potato Soup


Tuesday-- Creamy Taco Mac w/ Veggies


Wednesday-- Crock Pot Beef Tips w/ Creamy Gravy, served with Brown Rice and Veggies


Thursday-- Leftovers


Friday-- Dinner with my parents!


Saturday-- Slow Cooker Chile Chicken Tacos


If you need more menu plan ideas, don't forget to head over to I'm an Organizing Junkie. Lots of great menu plans are posted each week for Menu Plan Monday!




3 comments:

  1. I love what you wrote about your study! That sounds like a really good one. I'd like to try it in our group. What you said about it being an assignment and that we are to show God's love to our spouse really made an impact on me. How cool is that? =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to look at loving your spouse! Thanks for the fresh insight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome -- my husband and I are reading the Blessed Marriage together right now and we're being challenged to think in similar ways... especially about thinking your spouse doesn't owe you! But, thinking about how I am the only one who can express God's love in this way to him is pretty neat. Thanks for sharing that, friend.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel