Monday, March 14, 2011

Marital Monday + March 14 Menu Plan



I don’t know if any of you female readers can relate, but I’m the type that runs my car all the way to empty before filling up at the gas station. The way I see it (oddly) is . . . why should I spend more money to fill up before I need to? I know I’m not really “spending more money,” but my mind thinks I am. Somehow I think I'm getting a better deal if I completely exhaust my gas tank and get every last drop out before I put more gas inside. My husband thinks this behavior is beyond bizarre, but it’s just the way I do things. *grin*

Did I mention I’m also the type that never wants to stop at the gas station? I’ll run my car all the way to empty until I know Nathan will be driving it somewhere – this way, I ensure that he has to fill it up and I don’t have to touch the germ-infested nozzle thingy. Plus, when he fills my car up, he’s kind enough to use the sponge thingy to clean all my windows. I know. I’m spoiled. ;)

Last week, I was on my way home one evening from work when my empty light came on. It was raining and cold, so even though the gas station is right on my way home, I didn’t stop. I kindly asked Nathan if he could take my car out later and fill it up, but the night got away from us and we forgot. This meant I had to fill my own car up the next morning on the way to work. The horrors!!

I told him I would get up extra early to do it, and he laughed. He laughed at me, y’all! Then he proceeded to tell me, “I bet one chore that you will not be able to get up early and go fill your car up with gas.” (By the way, “betting one chore” means that if he wins, I do one of his chores, and if I win, he does one of mine . . . it’s a great way we encourage competition in our marriage.)  

The game was on, and if there’s one thing I am, it’s competitive – I grew up with an older brother who always won, so I’ve got quite the determination in me.

I managed to get ready for work the next day in a record 30-minute time frame, and I left around 8:15 AM. I filled my car up at the gas station, ran over to McDonald’s to get my free coffee that they so graciously offered me via mail coupons, and stopped by the post office! And I made it to work 10 minutes early. Boo-yah, Hubby. Boo-yah! :)

And, can you believe, I didn’t shrivel up and die after touching the germ-infested nozzle thingy??!? I know. I was surprised too.


We have got some exciting things going down in the Atwood kitchen lately, but I don't want to spill the beans just yet. I promise I'll disclose as we get more information, but let me just say - it's good, y'all! 

Until I can give you the juicy details, here's what we're chowing down on this week . . .


Tuesday: BBQ Chicken Quesadillas with Rice

Wednesday: Leftover Night

Thursday: Chicken Salad Sandwiches {new - found this yummy-sounding recipe for Chicken Salad in my latest edition of Food Network . . . can't wait to try it out!} w/ Fresh Fruit Smoothies

Friday: On Your Own 

Saturday: Hearty Potato Soup & Cheddar Biscuits

If you need more menu plan ideas, don't forget to head over to I'm an Organizing Junkie -- lots of menu plans are posted each week for Menu Plan Monday!


4 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you for getting gas! I don't like filling up my car either -- but, I guess if that's all, then I'm pretty a-okay.

    Can't wait to hear what you're up to... :) In the meantime, the meals look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm your menu sounds great! I especially like the sound of your chicken salad (maybe I should subscribe to food network? I love watching it on TV)
    LOVE your story about filling your car up with gas. That's great. I also tend to drive down to the empty. I think once I realized that I wasn't going to stall out two minutes after the gas light turned on I tend to just put it off as long as possible - which doesn't really make much sense - who needs the added stress of checking the gas gauge all the time?
    Glad you're still alright ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the betting a chore thing! I thought you were going to end the story by saying that you ran out of gas! I never let mine run very low unless I know I'm going to be close to home. There aren't any gas stations between work and home! But my cousin does it all the time (letting the light come on).

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are too funny - I always wait too long and have actually ran out of gas before! I love your competition!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel