Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Homemade Banana Pudding

Nathan doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth (I know, what’s wrong with him?), but one of his most favorite desserts is Banana Pudding. 


Growing up in the south, I’ve had banana pudding two ways – the “cold” version with cool whip, pudding mix, bananas and wafers, and the “hot” version where it’s baked in the oven and topped with meringue.  I’ve always preferred it cold because meringue gives me the shivers.  Even just typing the word causes gag reflexes. 

Naturally, when Nathan and I first got married and he asked for Banana Pudding, and I made it the cold way.  And I quickly discovered this is not the way Nathan likes his Banana Pudding.  However, he also doesn’t like meringue.  I was confused by what kind of Banana Pudding the man liked, so I put in an e-mail to the person who knew – his mother, and she kindly gave me their family recipe for Banana Pudding. 

I have since fallen in love with this recipe, and we make it quite regularly.  The reason?  There’s no meringue, I always have the ingredients on hand in my kitchen (with the exception of the wafers and bananas), and it is start to finish in 15 minutes.  Love it!

Just this past weekend we made a batch and I realized I hadn’t posted this on the blog yet, so today I’m pleased to introduce you to the easiest, best Banana Pudding (in my opinion).

This will serve 6-8 smaller portions, so it’s a great crowd dessert.  Of course, if you’re like us, it only serves about 4 because we like to slap our bowls full of the stuff!

Oh, and one more thing – you’ll notice we don’t have bananas in our dessert below.  That’s because Nathan doesn’t like them in the pudding.  He says they get soggy and gross, so I always leave them out and if I want bananas in mine, I just top my bowl with some slivers.

Banana Pudding – Nathan’s Grandmother’s Recipe

  • 1 box Nilla Wafers (feel free to get the store brand—you can’t taste the difference)
  • 2 eggs (the original recipe calls for 3, but this past weekend I tried reducing some of the ingredient amounts and it turned out just the same!)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 4 TBSP All-purpose flour
  • 1 c. Sugar
  • 3 c. Milk (we use 2%)
  • Bananas (optional)

Start by getting out your biggest bowl, and pour the bag of wafers in the bottom.  

Leave about this many wafers in the bag, and crush them up (you'll use these to top the whole thing off)

In a medium saucepan, add all your ingredients (*except the vanilla), and whisk them together.  Put on medium heat, and stir/whisk until thick . . . 

This is about the consistency you want to get it to . . . not drippy, but not super thick.  
Just pudding-ish.

Pour your pudding over your wafers, and give it a good stir until combined.

Top with your wafer crunchies

Enjoy!




4 comments:

  1. I do love this as my go to recipe - it's also a great chocolate pie recipe- just add cocoa powder and let it thicken a little more and pour into a pie crust. I also use it for coconut pies, but know you don't like those. Super easy and common ingredients so you can whip up on a minute's notice - which is how I operate some days HA

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandma always made it cold with 'nilla wafers. heh!

    Unfortunately I stuffed myself with it so much when I was younger, I never eat it anymore! Maybe in a few more years I can eat it again. =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saving this one! PJ loves banana pudding so I will definitely make it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, this looks so delicious! I will have to get Mom to try this one!! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel