Friday, February 18, 2011

Chicken Fajita Chow-dah

I know I exaggerate a little, but I'm not kidding with you when I say that this is the best chowder I have ever eaten in my whole entire life. Hands down. Who knew you could make a chowder taste like a big honkin' enchilada? I hope none of you did and didn't tell me about it. Y'all know I love Mexican food!


I think the person who created this recipe had me and my man in mind. Or maybe, just maybe, there are others out there who love Mexican-inspired dishes as much as us. 


Try this recipe before it gets too hot outside to even mention the word chowder. You won't be disappointed.  


Best-Ever Chicken Fajita Chowder  
ever-so-slightly adapted from Taste of Home, Feb/Mar 2011 issue

  • 2 c. cooked, shredded chicken (you could use chicken breasts diced, as the original recipe suggests, but I thought the shredded chicken gave it a really nice texture)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 TBSP olive oil
  • 3 to 4 c. water
  • 2 c. frozen corn
  • 1 c. uncooked brown rice
  • 1 c. red enchilada sauce (we used red, but that's because I can't read directions -- the original recipe calls for green. I say use whichever you prefer. The red was delicious!)
  • 1 small can green chilies
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 c. shredded Mexican cheese blend (I used a Monterey Jack w/ JalapeƱos . . . mm, mm)
  • 1 c. non-fat sour cream (you could certainly use the full-fat one too, but I was trying to save us a few calories)
And if you like green, sweet or yellow peppers, throw those in too -- the original recipe called for it, but my man doesn't eat peppers.

Start by throwing your olive oil in a big dutch oven or stock pot.  Then toss in your onions, peppers (if you're using 'em), and chicken.  Let that cook on Medium heat until the onions are tender.

Stir in your water, enchilada sauce, corn, rice, chilies and salt.  Bring this to a boil.  Reduce the heat, and simmer for 40 minutes or until rice is tender.  **Keep an eye on it, because the rice tends to stick to the bottom if you don't stir it often.  Also, feel free to add in more water if yours is too thick.  I ended up adding around 4 c. total.

Remove from the heat, and stir in that shredded cheese and sour cream. 

Serve this all by itself, or with some chips or yummy bread.  Try to refrain from eating seconds, and thirds, and fourths.




3 comments:

  1. You've been making the most of your Taste of Home magazines, haven't you? That's awesome! It looks like you've got some great recipes from there. =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to make this over the weekend - sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family would love this. I am not a big Mexican fan but my parents are! I am going to bookmark this page for Mom. :)
    Hope you had a great weekend!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel