Saturday, January 15, 2011

SSMT Verse #2

For those of you who have been following, I announced that I was participating in the Siesta Scripture Memory Team that was being hosted by Beth Moore.  To read the details on the SSMT, click here.  


Today's the day when we pick our second verses to memorize.  I have to admit, memorizing Scripture is (so far) easier than I thought!  Beth recommended writing them in a spiral index card notebook, and carrying it with you wherever you go.  It's really helped me memorize my verse better, and as an added bonus, I can whip out my Scripture whenever I need a fresh dose of Truth during my day!  


If you want to participate, it's not too late!  Click here to link your verses up.


My second verse choice was a little harder to pick, but I finally decided on it yesterday and knew it would be a great verse to fill my mind with this year!


Finally, brethren [and sisters], whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. -- Philippians 4:8 (KJV)
I chose this verse because, well . . . let's face it - we can think some pretty rotten stuff sometimes.  And the Word says, what we store in our hearts will eventually make its way out (Luke 6:45).  I don't know about y'all, but I've been known to spew some pretty nasty stuff from my mouth, and it makes me feel lousy afterwards.  I'm determined to memorize this verse so that I can do the Philippians 4:8 Spew-Proof Test before I speak.


Is what I'm about to say .  . . True? . . . Honest? . . . Just? . . . Pure? . . . Lovely? . . . Of Good Report? . . . Does it have Virtue . . . Is it Praise-Worthy?


If not, I need to zip it before I make a mess of something and ask God to fill my head with things that honor Him. 


Several of you have mentioned participating in SSMT, and I would LOVE to know how you're doing with your first verse!  Let's cheer each other on!


Hope y'all have a great weekend!  I'm off Monday so I'm going to enjoy a nice looong weekend.  I'll meet you back here on Monday morning with a BIG surprise.  Hint: it rhymes with RIVEAWAY! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Great verse - a long one! I thought we picked a verse every week (I didn't link up, just started at your suggestion) so I've picked my second one and been memorizing it this week. I did write them in spiral index card booklet and it helps knowing where they are for easy review.

    Love the spew-proof test idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that I didn't do so great these first two weeks, but I'm committed to doing much better with this next verse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one of my favorite verses! It's always encouraging to me. And you're right, we all have some nasty stuff in our heads that should never come out and this verse is a great reminder to ask God for good things in our head.

    With that verse, you can make good decisions about life stuff too. Is it true? Is it honest? Is it just? Is it pure? Lovely? etc. If no to any of the questions, we know we shouldn't be going in that direction and we need to re-evaluate our decisions and thinking. If yes to all, then ask God discern what He wants us to do with it.

    A great and encouraging verse! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel