Thursday, January 6, 2011

Easy Peasy Baked Cavatelli

I always love finding easy weeknight meals in food magazines, cookbooks or in the blogosphere.  So when I stumbled upon this easy baked cavatelli recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, I knew I had a keeper!

Hubby and I whipped this one up in no time a few weeks back and I think it was prep to finish in 40 minutes flat.  I love when that happens. :)



We did this one vegetarian style, but the recipe says to add in 12 ounces of Italian sausage or ground beef, which I'm sure is especially yummy.  I may try the sausage next time!

Baked Cavatelli  
Better Homes and Gardens, Pink Edition Cookbook

  • 7 ounces dried cavatelli (we used Radiatore instead because our grocer didn't have cavatelli on hand...any macaroni-sized noodle will do!  Their just so stinkin' cute, aren't they?!?)
  • 12 ounces uncooked Italian sausage, sliced or ground beef (optional...we did this one vegetarian style and it was still great!) 
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 26-ounce jar pasta sauce (we used a tomato basil one and it was really good with this)
  • 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  1. Start by cooking your pasta.  Once it's Al dente, drain and set aside.
  2. In a large skillet, cook your meat (if applicable) with onion and garlic until done.  Drain, if needed.
  3. In a large bowl, stir together sauce, 3/4 c. of the cheese, and the pepper.  Add the cooked pasta and the meat/veggie mixture.  Stir gently to combine.
  4. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish, or get extra fancy and put these in little ramekins.  
  5. Bake, covered at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  Uncover, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.  
  6. Serve this up with a nice side salad and some yummy Italian bread.


4 comments:

  1. Yummy! This is such warm and comforting food when the weather is cold and blustery!

    I love italian's casserole. And so easy to make.
    I bet it could be frozen if there are any leftovers.
    xo Auntie Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! I made lasagna last night - we were on an italian kick, weren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Yvonne--what a great idea! I never thought of it as a freezer meal, but it would be perfect for that.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel