Friday, January 7, 2011

Chicken Swiss Bundles

Nathan's sweet Aunt Karen got me a subscription to Taste of Home for my birthday back in October, and I got my first issue in the mail last week!  

I have been so excited about getting this, that I immediately starting perusing it that night in bed.  While I was reading, Nathan leaned in and said, "You're making me really hungry!"  He oooo'd and ahhh'd at a few of the recipes and then got up and made a late-night snack.  This should tell you how mouth-watering Taste of Home recipes are.  

And the thing I love most about them?  They're easy, and so delicious!  No foreign ingredients or 2-hour cooking times...anybody that knows how to boil water can whip these up and serve a great meal. 

This recipe is one I found in the magazine and knew Nathan and I would both love.  I served this alongside some tomato soup this past week, and it was the perfect combination!  Think of it as a jazzed-up grilled cheese of sorts.

Chicken Swiss Bundles -- Taste of Home, January 2011 issue
  

I will tell you I hated to leave all the extra veggies out that the recipe called for, but my man just doesn't like red peppers or mushrooms, so we omitted those.  If your fam likes these two things, then I think it would definitely take this recipe over the top!

We halved the recipe and made 3 bundles, but the ingredients below will get you 6.
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 c. fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 c. chicken breast, cooked and cubed
  • 1/2 c. chopped roasted sweet red peppers (optional)
  • 1 TBSP honey mustard (we made our own by mixing together some spicy brown mustard + honey)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 2 c. shredded Swiss cheese
  • 12 frozen bread dough rolls, thawed (you don't have to let them rise since they're going to be flattened)
  • melted butter
Start off by sauteing your onion and mushrooms (if applicable) in some olive oil until tender.  Add garlic, then chicken and peppers (if applicable), mustard and seasonings.  Heat through.
Remove from heat, and stir in cheese.
Flatten each roll into a 5-inch circle.
Place 1/4 c. of the chicken mixture into the center of 6 circles.

Brush edges with water; top with remaining dough circles, and press edges with a fork to seal.

Place on greased baking sheet; brush with melted butter and bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes, or until golden brown. 




 Cut in half to serve.




3 comments:

  1. You're making me hungry!! Those look so easy and good. Will try those soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... yum. I love the cheesy goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like that was a fun recipe to make! =]

    I've read Taste of Home before, but I don't receive it in the mail. I like the magazine a lot though. Many yummy things!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel