Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chicken Enchiladas . . . Again

Y'all know mine and my man's love affair with all things Mexican food, and one of our favorite things to make is enchiladas.  I've posted several enchilada recipes on this little ole' blog--Smothered Enchiladas, Enchilada Casserole, and Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas.  They've all been really good, but there's about a million different ways you can make this Mexican dish, so we're always looking for more!

I found this new little recipe in my Southern Living 1001 Ways to Cook Southern cookbook, and it was such a hit that I thought I'd share yet another enchilada recipe with you.  I hope you enjoy this one--it was especially yummy!

Chicken Enchiladas -- Southern Living, 1001 Ways to Cook Southern

  • 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken (I took about 7 drumsticks and popped them in the Crock Pot while we were at church.  Came home, ripped the meat off the bone  and then used it this way-it made for some extra tender chicken!)
  • 2 cups shredded Pepper Jack Cheese with Jalapenos or Monterey Jack cheese with peppers.  
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 (4.5 oz) can green chiles; drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (If you can find this in season now, then by all means, use it.  I left it out and these were still delicious.)
  • 8 flour tortillas
  • Vegetable cooking spray
  • 1 (8 oz) sour cream
  • 1 (8 oz) jar tomatillo salsa or green salsa verde 
  • Toppings: tomatoes, cheese, avocado, etc.
Cook your chicken.  When it's done, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Stir together the first five ingredients . . .


  Spoon mixture down the center of the tortillas . . . 

Wrap those babies up and place 'em seam side down in a baking dish . . . 

Spray the tops with cooking spray . . . 

Pop it in the oven and let them cook for 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
 


Meanwhile, while the enchiladas are cooking, stir together your 8 ounces of sour cream + your salsa.  When the enchiladas come out of the oven, spoon this creamy goodness on top and sprinkle with whatever toppings you prefer.
  

This satisfied our craving for Mexican cuisine for about 2 days.  This may or may not have been in the same week we had beef tacos and went on a date to Moe's.  Yikes! :)



5 comments:

  1. Those look delicious! I wish I could get Frog Prince to enjoy dishes like these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I love this and it is on my menu for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! Love me some enchiladas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always on the lookout for crockpot recipes. I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. just happened upon your blog- These look great! I too share your love affair with enchiladas!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel