Friday, January 14, 2011

Breakfast Pizza

Nathan's parents gave me the Southern Living: 1001 Ways to Cook Southern cookbook for Christmas, and I am in love peeps!  It is the best and biggest cookbook I have ever owned (it's over 900 pages!). 

I broke the book in last Saturday after making one of the breakfast recipes . . .I'm going to try and cook at least one meal out of each "category" so I get a feel for some of the recipes.

If this recipe is any indication of the rest of the cookbook, then I am already sold!  It was delicious, and Nathan and I enjoyed it for a little brunch on our lazy Saturday morning.  We never really eat big breakfasts . . .mostly just cereal or oatmeal during the week, so this was a nice treat!



Sausage-and-Scrambled Egg Pizza -- Southern Living, 1001 Ways to Cook Southern

  • 1 refrigerated pizza crust
  • 1 lb. sausage (we just used Italian, but the recipe calls for hot pork).  We ended up using about 1/2 pound because our pizza wasn't really big
  • 6 large eggs, lightly beaten (I reduced this down to 4 and it worked great for our smaller pizza)
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 (16 oz) jar salsa -- again, we reduced this.  Just use as much as you like on your pizza!
  • 1 (8 oz) package taco blend shredded cheese
  • Sour cream (totally optional) 
 Start by browning that sausage.  When it's fully cooked, drain it on a paper towel and set it aside.

Roll out your pizza dough, and put it on a pizza stone or in a jelly roll pan (depends on whether you want it round or square).  Cook it in a 425-degree oven for about 7 minutes.  Remove from oven and set aside.

Whisk together your eggs and pepper, and then get to scrambling!  You don't want them dry . . .they  need to be thick, but still moist.  

Assemble your pizza by pouring your salsa on first . . . 

Throw your sausage on top of that . . . then put your eggs on top of the sausage

Top the whole thing with cheese, and plop it back in your 425-degree oven for another 12 minutes or until your crust is done and your cheese is melty.

 Serve this to your man, and he will kiss you for five minutes straight.  Then the two of you will have indigestion for four hours straight.  But it'll be soooo worth it!  Trust me.


 


4 comments:

  1. I wonder how that would be as a "taco pizza" with meat and cheese, maybe some lettuce at the end after baking? Just brainstorming - yours looked absolutely delicious, and I love how rustic the crust looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a southern pizza alright :) I'm glad you're enjoying your new cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so cute! I bet it was so tasty and warm for a cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chelsea, I'm sure that would be wonderful!! You know I love me some Mexican food. :) I'm going to have to try that soon.

    @theultimate--Yes! You're right...it was the perfect breakfast for our snowy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel