Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thrifty Thursday: DIY Shelfsicles


Last week I showed you a cute little DIY craft that I found from the Michaels e-newsletter.  I whipped it up in about 30 minutes, but when I was done I didn't have the slightest idea where to put the thing!  Then I started brainstorming ideas for our front entryway shelf.  

I wanted to make the shelf a little more Christmasy, so I figured the ribbon tree would be a nice addition.  But . . . it needed a bit more.  That's when I found DIY Shimmering Shelfsicles from FamilyFun.com . . .



How cute are those?!?!

I thought the shelfsicles would be the perfect addition to our front entryway shelf, so I got to work on creating our very own icicle winter wonderland!  The best part?  This little project only set me back about $2!

Here's what you'll need:
  • Felt (the original craft called for glitter felt, but my local craft store didn't have that, so I got plain white)
  • Scissors
  • Marker, Pen or Pencil
  • Glue Gun
You start by laying your felt out . . . this size was plenty for me, but it depends on how big your shelf is.

Then, take your marker and trace some icicles (the original craft says to use a pencil, but I tried this and it didn't show up on the felt, so I switched to a Sharpie.)


After your icicles are drawn, take your scissors and carefully cut them out;
leaving a border of 1 1/2 inches at the top.


Now, this is where I sort of veered off the path and did my own thing with the craft.  The original craft says to use paper, and glue the felt icicles (with a glue stick) to the paper.  However, I wasn't a fan of having paper on my front shelf.  I was afraid it might look weird, and might fall off because of the heaviness of the felt.  So, I took my additional felt (since I had so much left over) and then just used my glue gun to attach the icicles to the felt.  

If I had it to do over again, I would probably just never cut the 1 1/2 inch border at the top, and just use the felt all as one piece to lay on the shelf, but I didn't realize how I wanted to have it until after I already cut it out.  Nevertheless, I thought the end product turned out pretty cute and it definitely makes our front entryway a lot more Christmasy! :)

After I had my shelfsicles all set, I added the ribbon tree, and few other Christmas decorations. (Now you can't even really see the stinkin' shelfsicles because of all the other stuff, but I know they're there!)  I also hung our stockings here since we don't have a mantle.

And here's the final product . . .

I used the peppermint wreath to hang above the mirror, and the peppermint hurricane vase to go in the center.

And for kicks and giggles, here's an up-close of the DIY
ribbon tree sittin' purty on the shelf . . .

And because I love how it looks at night, here's one more photo . . . 

So what you do think?  Are the shelfsicles a craft that you might tackle?  Are you DIY'ing any of your Christmas decor?  I'd love to hear!

5 comments:

  1. That is so adorable! Look at you crafty lady!

    I've DIY'd a few things, but I haven't posted them yet. I need to get on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute!!! I was thinking to just use the whole piece of felt together. Also if you get the fake snow roll it has glitter on it. Just to let you know:) XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is adorable! I would never have thought of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo cute! What a great idea! Very festive indeed!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel