Thursday, December 2, 2010

Thrifty Thursday: DIY Ribbon Tree


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas around the Atwood casa!  I'll be rolling some holiday decor posts out over the next few weeks, but today I wanted to show you a cheap easy craft that I threw together in about 30 minutes last week.


I sign up to receive the weekly Michaels advertisement (with coupons!) sent to my e-mail.  This is a free service Michaels provides, and sometimes the ad comes with an extra bonus - easy, cheap crafts for the not-so-Martha crafters like myself.

This week, for Thrifty Thursday I'm going to walk you through the steps of creating a fun, cheap ribbon tree that can grace your mantle, dining room table or shelf.
 
Click here to see the original photo of the Michaels ribbon tree.  It looked easy enough for me, so I thought I'd try it out!

Here's what you'll need:
  •  Ribbon of your choice -- 2 rolls were plenty for mine
  • 1 Styrofoam cone 
  • Scissors
  • Straight Pens

Cut your ribbon into 4-inch pieces, and start at the bottom of your cone and pin each piece to your cone like so . . .

 Work your way up, until the entire cone is filled with ribbon. (This is a great craft to do while couch-sitting  . . . it'll take some mindless energy.)

For the top of the tree, you can add a cute star like the great folks at Michaels, or if you have lots of extra ribbon, you can make a simple bow . . . 

 I've got big plans for this little guy, but I'll wait and reveal those later.  Another fun Christmas decorating craft is coming up next week, so be sure and check back again!

Are you doing any fun Christmas crafting or decorating? Are you thinking of tackling this ribbon tree? I'd love to know!




4 comments:

  1. You beat me to it, I love that idea - the one I saw was done with curled paper and looked much harder, I'm going to have to attempt the ribbon tree! Great job, it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO cute - I'm going to try and make the tree - now to get the supplies. I love EASY decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! How cool is that?! I love how it turned out. =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is absolutely adorable and looks easy, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel