Friday, December 3, 2010

Peppermint Holiday Tablescape

Admission: I have a slight obsession with decorating our dining room table.  This started shortly after my marriage to Nathan, and thankfully since he's been teaching me to be frugal, hasn't broken our bank too much.  I've acquired quite the collection of table decor thanks to clearances, Goodwill and yard sales.  Of course, piecing it all together is an art form all itself, that can be confusing.

Thankfully, my sweet friend (whom I call Auntie) Yvonne, has a wonderful blog over on StoneGable, and her beautiful tablescapes feed my obsession frequently.  Her masterpieces put my attempts to shame, but I do gain so much knowledge from reading about her technique, use of color and wonderful mix-and-match of texture and pattern.  She's taught me so much, and I feel more confident in my table-setting abilities thanks to her great blog.


Last year, I bought up a bunch of holiday decorations when Michaels had their 75%-off sale after Christmas, so this year I couldn't wait to do a festive tablescape!  I dragged all of my table stuff out this weekend and there was stuff that I forgot I bought last year (bonus!).  For the next few weeks leading up to Christmas, I'll be showing you a couple of different holiday tablescape options that are sure to be welcoming, festive and cheap (the best part!).


Today's tablescape is playful, bright and festive . . . I imagine having this tablescape prepared for a brunch or a coffee and dessert time with family or friends.



I used red place mats for a pop of color (which are really just snowflake place mats that I turned over so that I would have a solid color).  Work with what cha' got . . .that's my motto!  I also used my big square white dinner plates as a charger for the round white plates, and topped it all off with a small white bowl.

Since I didn't have white or red napkins, I used 2 cute peppermint striped dishcloths that I scored last year for 90%-off at Walgreens.  Guests could use these as napkins, or take them home as a gift . . . 


Inside each bowl, there's a packet of peppermint tea and some faux peppermints I got at Michaels.  You could definitely use real peppermints, too - this would be another good take-home treat for your guests!



The center of the table is whimsical and bright.  I used a peppermint wreath that I got at Michaels last year as a centerpiece.  I filled a small glass hurricane vase with cinnamon sticks and peppermint, and topped it off with a red candle.  These two scents work great together and it makes your table smell like Christmas time!



I used this cute little red reindeer plate for a serving dish.  I love combining the polka dots with the stripes from the peppermint decor.  I imagine this plate filled with some sort of holiday treat!  Peppermint and white chocolate dipped cookies, biscotti, coffee cake . . . the possibilities are endless!



The "table runner" underneath is just a white crocheted scarf  . . . remember, work with what cha' got! :)

On the other side of the centerpiece, there's a snowflake candle holder, that puts off a fun light with all those different shapes .  . .


And a floral-shaped white bowl that could be filled with fruit, snack mix or some other fun treat for your guests.

 

All paired together, this makes for a sweet Christmas tablescape filled with bright colors and wonderful holiday scents.   


I'm not quite sure how much I paid on some of the items because they were purchased last year, but after doing some rough calculations, I feel certain this tablescape cost me at most $10.  

The square plates, silverware, reindeer plate and floral bowl were all items I had already.  The additional dishes I purchased at the Christmas Tree Shop for $1.99, and the glass hurricane dish was purchased at the Goodwill for $.99.  All the peppermint decor came from Michael's after-Christmas sale, and the placemats I scored at Target last year.  


Decorating on a dime (or a ten) makes my heart leap, and my hubby's wallet happy!

So what about?  Are you doing any holiday table decorating around your casa?  Do you like working with what you have when you decorate, or do you take a different approach? I'd love to hear your tips!


8 comments:

  1. How adorable! I would have never thought to use the scarf for a table runner- how clever!

    I love to decorate with what I have - I do buy some things at after-Christmas sales, but I tend to do the same thing year after year! I need a change. HA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great! I'll be posting a picture of our current tablescape soon. I also used a scarf as a table runner! =] I think it's a great money-saving idea and I love making items multi-task. =]

    I love the peppermint wreath -- gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I wish I had dishes to add to our table scape, but I don't. Our every day set doesn't quite go and I really don't want another set to store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! Looks so festive! I attempt to set up tables and set out all my decor but somehow? it all gets moved :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table looks SO nice! I, too, just ADORE Yvonne! Everything she does is just spectacular! I am a new blogger so would LOVE for you to come visit and maybe FOLLOW me too! Thanks so much!!!! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm your newest follower. http://moogieland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi lovely lady I love your tablescapes !! I SEE you are new just like me Im your newest follower. come follow my Tablescapes also.
    Thanks so much.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow!!! This is amazing!! I absolutely love it and you would never beleive that you only spent $10! just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel