Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Peanut Butter Marshmallow Toast

To say that my family loves Peanut Butter is a huge understatement.  We're actually a wee bit addicted to it.  I could have a PB&J every day, and in fact, most days that's exactly what I pack for lunch.  If I dare go 1 or 2 days without my PB&J, you can probably find me standing in our pantry eating peanut butter by the spoonfuls like a feen.

Nathan enjoys peanut butter, too, but not nearly as much as my family does.  However, when I made him this toast while we were dating and he loved it, I knew he was the one!  Anyone in our family must like this toast.

You see, this toast is not only a delicious and filling snack perfect for cold wintry nights, but it's also a Martin Family Tradition.  Every year when my family would start decorating the Christmas tree, my mom could be found in the kitchen making Peanut Butter Marshmallow Toast and Hot Chocolate.  We would have it other times during the year, but it was definitely way more special while we were decorating the tree.  

My mom tells me it originated when her and my dad were newly married and poor.  They whipped this up one night, and it's been a family favorite ever since!


Peanut Butter Marshmallow Toast -- My Mom

Here's what you'll need:
  • Marshmallows
  • Peanut Butter (we choose JIF, but feel free to use your favorite PB)
  • Sandwich bread

Slap some peanut butter on some sandwich bread . . . if you're like me, you like enough PB to make yourself choke (mine's on the right).  If you're like Nathan, you like just a thin, even layer.

Then drop some marshmallows on top . . . 


Throw it in your oven on Broil, and keep an eye on it.  You want the marshmallows to be brown/dark brown, but not black and crispy!

When it's done, take it out and eat it while it's piping hot and the PB is dripping everywhere!  It's a tad messy, but you'll never care.

Serve alongside some hot chocolate (if you're like Nathan), or a nice cold glass of Eggnog (if you're like me!)


So, what kind of holiday family traditions do you have?  Does your family have a food tradition like us?  Do you love peanut butter just as much as I do?  I'd love to hear! :)


8 comments:

  1. Ask Aunt Sandy to make some coconut/peppermint crush when you guys come to visit in January. I can't think of what they actually call the mixture, I just know it's entertaining just to watch them all make it.It's a Tucker family tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, I have to try this. Love that it's a family tradition that your continuing. Egg nog is a must in our family too!

    I am a PB addict too, I have this recipe for peanut butter sheet cake that I am dying to make, but I need the right occasion otherwise I might just eat it all myself, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good! I love peanut butter too and also carry a PBJ everyday to work! haha! =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. We make peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate, cookies and chex mix. Rachel (sister) makes the spritz cookies (with a shooter).

    The peanut butter/marshmallow toast looks yummy. That may have to be added to our family traditions.

    I'll show you the peppermint/coconut treat Anna mentioned (in my dad's family since he was a child) but my kids were not big fans of coconut but I love it! (What's not to love!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anna-I definitely will! Sounds interesting...

    @theultimate--Glad to know I'm not the only PB&J freak :) PB lovers, unite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a fluffernutter!!! Oh man, marshmallow and peanut butter is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @TheCookingPhotographer, I have never heard it called that! How cute! :) And yes, you're right...PB and Marshmallow is the perfect team.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried this last year after you mentioned that this was a tradition for your family. It was soooo rich!! (Maybe I put too many marsmallows!) I cannot imagine having egg nog with it! ha! My sister called said it reminded her of a S'more.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel