Thursday, December 30, 2010

Out with the old . . .

You may remember in January of this year, Hubby and I decided we were going to start a New Year’s tradition of creating a Family Goals list. We hung this proudly on our fridge, and glimpsed at it often. I thought since we’re embarking on 2011 in just a few short days, I’d give you a little recap on how we did with our 2010 goals. 

It was really fun for us to look this list over last week and see just how many we had accomplished. (Tomorrow I’ll be posting our new 2011 goals.)

  1.  Work out more (3 times a week, at least) --The 3 times per week thing didn't really happen, but we did try to workout and ride our bikes more in 2010, so this is a sort of half-met goal. :)
  2. Date Nights (once a week) -- This goal was met!  We had a lot of fun being creative with our dates.  They didn't always happen on the weekend, and they weren't always glamorous, but nevertheless, they were dates.
  3. Spend more time in family devotions and prayer -- I mentioned last week how this goal was being met more as of late, and we are really seeing the benefits of it.
  4. Continue saving money anywhere we can -- This goal was met!  We tweaked our budget a bit in 2010 on things like groceries and personal spending and we've definitely noticed a difference.
  5. Rachel to cook more healthy meals, and Nathan to be more open minded when eating them -- So happy to report this goal was met!! :)  When we first got married, Nathan viewed salad as an "obstacle" to his meal (his words, not mine), and I was bad about making salads a lot.  Now he really enjoys salads because I'm switching it up and serving more cooked veggies with our meals and only occasionally serving salad.
  6. House Projects -- Thankfully, we were able to accomplish 5 of our 6 house project goals this year!  We installed overhead lighting (here and here), planted new landscaping out front, sealed and stained the deck, fixed our sliding glass door and added insulation in the attic.  Thanks all in part to some great help from my parents and Nathan's parents!  In case you're curious, house project #6 was to paint Nathan's office - we've since decided that would be a good winter project, so we're hoping to do that soon.
  7. Save enough money to go to NYC for anniversary trip -- Goal met, and we had a great time!!
  8. Increase youth group; plan more activities/outreach events -- Those of you who have been following know that earlier this summer, God called us from our church to a different one, but I am happy to report that the group at our previous church is doing well and growing even after we're gone! God is good.
  9. Give more to others -- Nathan and I have had so many opportunities to give in 2010.  We were so thankful God allowed us to overflow into others, and we hope for more opportunities like this in 2011.    
  10. Never go to bed mad -- Why did we make this a goal?!? :)  In the words of our pre-marriage counselors....sometimes things just can't be worked out late at night and you both will need to sleep on them and then talk about them in the morning.  Good advice!  All kidding aside, we really try to never go to bed mad, but our counselors were right...sometimes it's just too late and we're just too stubborn.
So what about you? Does your family do a Yearly Goal List or have any New Year’s traditions? I’d love to hear!




6 comments:

  1. Rachel, You are a smart young woman! Every one could benefit from these personal and sincere resolutions (or goals). And I love that you saved them on the frig and took them so personally! I think you did wonderfully. Most people give up their resolutions within the first 2 weeks in January. So KUDOS to you!

    May God bless you as you honor Him with your lives and the new resolutions you will post!
    Lots of love this New Year,
    Auntie Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently started reading your blog and I love it! My husband and I will have to start the tradition of having a Family Goals List. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is just my hubby and I but for 20111 I am trying to find a WORD to guide me this year. I am thinking about "authentic". I want to be more real and honest, especially with my feelings. CONGRATS on all you accomplished this year!!! Happy new year to you both!!!! XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful that your goals were met!
    Wishing you all wonderful 2011

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Yvonne--your comments are always so uplifting! Thank you sweet friend :) You make me smile! I hope you and your family have a wonderful 2011!

    @Pinky--That is such a great idea! I love your word, too. How we could all use a little more authenticity! Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! you guys did great meeting so many of your goals! Happy New Year to you and Nathan!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel