Thursday, December 16, 2010

Hearty Potato Soup w/ Cheddar Biscuits

I don't know about y'all, but in Upstate New York we've been seeing a lot of this lately . . . 

Believe it or not, that picture was taken last week on one of the lightest snow days we've seen lately.  We're in for a long winter!

Nothing seems to take the chill off like a nice piping hot bowl of soup.  I found this recipe in a church cookbook I bought at a yard sale last summer, and it was a big hit!  Chocked full of veggies, thick and creamy . . . this soup is definitely comforting on a cold winter night.  Did I mention it takes about 30 minutes to whip up?  Love it!

Hearty Potato Soup -- Cross Creek Church Cookbook

  • 6 Medium potatoes, chopped (peel 'em or don't peel 'em . . .your choice!  We left ours unpeeled)
  • 2 Carrots, diced
  • 4 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 6 TBSP real butter (Don't freak out on me here.  Just add the butter in real quick and forget about how fattening it is.  You need the extra insulation for the winter, anyway!)
  • 6 TBSP flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 1/2 c. milk
  1. In a large kettle, cook potatoes, carrots, and celery in boiling water until tender (about 20 minutes).
  2. Drain, reserving the liquid.  Set veggies aside.
  3. In the same kettle, saute onion in butter.  Stir in flour and seasonings.  Add milk gradually, stirring constantly until thickened (it'll start to take on the form of gravy . . . that's when you know you're dealing with a high-quality potato soup, folks.  Or maybe that's just my southern talking.)
  4. Add veggies and 1 cup or more of the reserved cooking liquid (I actually added it all back in because mine was prrrettty thick.)

Go ahead and do yourself a favor and slap some sour cream and white cheddar in the bowl before you gobble this up.  

This soup serves 8, and would be perfect paired with Cheddar Cheese Biscuits.  Nathan's Aunt Karen gave me this recipe at my bridal shower, and it's so simple to throw together.  You won't regret making these.  Maybe your thighs will, but your conscience won't.  Trust me on this. 


Aunt Karen's Cheese Biscuits -- Aunt Karen
*Makes 12
For the biscuits: 
  • 2 c. Baking Mix (I used Jiffy)
  • 3/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese 
  • 1/2 c. water
For the butter mixture:
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 c. melted butter
  • 1/2 tsp. parsley flakes (or Italian seasonings)
  1. Stir together biscuit ingredients and drop by large spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet.
  2. Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
  3. While hot, brush with butter mixture.
 Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Hey! That's vegetarian! I'll have to add it to my list. It's not snowing here (haha, you did live in Alabama after all, you know how it is), but I am cold all the time anyway so this sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, can I come stay with you for awhile, the snow and the soap, perfect just perfect.

    As I sit here in Texas with chill factor a muggy 70!!! NO Joke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to try these biscuits! They sound like they are super simple & tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a huge snow lover, especially at Christmas! YOur picture makes me long for snow. And I think snowy weather and a hot pot of soup cooking away is a perfect pair!
    Your potato soup sounds delicious. I'm making those cheddar biscuits, my son will be wild over them. Look for them on this week's menu. I'll link it back to your post!
    Have a blessed week, sweet Rachel!
    XO Auntie Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Jenna--Come on over, girl! There's plenty of snow to share :)

    @Yvonne--Thanks for featuring the biscuits on your blog! I'll be sure to look for them. I'll send you some snow in the mail! ;)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel