Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Crock Pot Chicken N Dumplings

Since it's  freezing out, and the busy holidays are over, there's nothing I love more than breaking out my Crock Pot and letting it do all the work so I don't have to.  Can I get an Amen?

This has got to be the hands-down easiest way to make Chicken N Dumplings.  Ever.  And, might I add that these were delicious??  We're definitely keeping this recipe on file for later use.  


I adapted the recipe just a bit based on some of the reviews and I took into consideration that I was only feeding 2, not an army.  You'll need to adjust the ratios if you're feeding more.


Enjoy this one!  We sure did.


Today I'm linking this up with SnoWhite's Countdown to 2011.  I've been meaning to participate all week, but I'm just now getting around to it.  Check out her blog here and see all the delicious soups being posted!


Crock Pot Chicken N Dumplings -- All Recipes (Janiece) 


  •  2 boneless, skinless frozen chicken breasts
  • 1 TBSP butter
  • 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
  • 2 cans low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1 pack (6 or 8 biscuit) refrigerated biscuit dough -- I only used about 4, and then cooked the rest for us to eat with the meal.
  1. Place onion on bottom of Crock Pot, cover with chicken breasts.
  2. Pour soup and broth on top and add butter.  Pour enough water on top to cover chicken (if the broth doesn't cover it all...I only had to add a little water to mine).
  3. Let cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.
  4. About 2 hours before serving, cut biscuit dough into strips and add to Crock Pot.  Turn Crock Pot on HIGH and cook until biscuits are no longer raw inside (mine took roughly 1 1/2 hours)
  5. Serve warm and enjoy!



23 comments:

  1. Yum, I make these and now after your post, I think I will make these tonight. Definitely making these to store for when I have Ty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also made these for my family. My husband said they where the best thing I ever cooked he ate three plates along with all three of my sons ate them. Thanks for the recipes...Be blessed

      Delete
  2. That looks like a winner, Rachel!! Perfect for a cold winter night. Thanks for linking up today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These looked so yummy AND easy! The ones I make take a lot longer and more complicated - going to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have fresh chicken is the times still the same ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was wondering the same thing...

      Delete
    2. If by fresh you mean cooked, then I think it would be totally fine to just toss the cooked chicken in towards the end so that everything gets nice and hot. If you're referring to fresh, uncooked chicken then I think the times would be the same. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. We have made something similar to this for years! We have started adding frozen peas and carrots about an hour before the biscuits are added to get a little variety of taste and texture. It is definitely a delicious addition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. my dumplings did not look like the ones shown in the picture. wasn't a fan of the dumplings. however, the chicken mixture was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you!

      Delete
  7. I'm making this right now! Just wondering how your chicken ended up shreaded. Is that something I'm supposed to do at some point?? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - you're supposed to take the chicken out and shred it. Although, since it has been cooked in the Crock Pot, it should just fall apart. I did this when I cut my biscuits into strips (so about 2 hours before you're ready to serve). Hope this helps, and enjoy!

      Delete
    2. thank you! I'll let you know how it is!

      Delete
  8. Do I add the dumplings after 8 hrs of cooking on low?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added the dumplings after 6 hours of cooking and then let the dumplings cook for 2 hours...so a total of 8 hours cooking time.

      Delete
  9. can you add dumplings in the begining? so they will be done when I get home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried adding them in the beginning before, but I would assume the cook time would be too long (since the chicken cooks for 8 hours before you add them in).

      Delete
  10. I made this myself. I'm not big on onions so I substituted sliced carrots instead. It came out good and I might try out other veggies next time like corn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heard your supposed to toss the dumplings in flour to avoid them sticking is that true

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't stick on me, but I gently stirred them throughout the process. It's worth a shot if you're not going to be around while they cook. Let me know if you try it!

      Delete
  12. flour tortillas cut into strips are much better than canned biscuits! they are thinner and don't get thick and gummy!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel